The Music of delhi-6
usical, who hangs out at the Drift with us and has knowledge to match her
interest in music
takes an early listen of A. R. Rahman's much buzzed about soundtrack to Delhi-6.

Hello Drifters,

Aspi asked me to do a review for Delhi 6 music. And the album isn't even out,
yet! But a quick
search on the internet will reveal the mayajaal, the muzik is everywhere!
Without knowing that
the music wasn't officially available yet, and having looked up iTunes several
times to no
avail, curiosity won over (don't get me wrong, I haven't downloaded any songs)
and I ended up
listening to this marvelous soundtrack through that search. And again, and
again and yet again.

A. R. Rahman opens 2009 with an album that easily is one of his more versatile
scores. In his
previous outing with Rakyesh Omprakash Mehra, he gave us the fun and fresh Rang
de Basanti.
They team up again for Delhi 6 and the result is a fairly enjoyable soundtrack.
What's more is
that you get to hear different genres and great new voices, which, for me is
always a plus!

People are calling it Rahman's comeback score. (Wait a minute, that's wrong on
so many levels.
I don't think he ever went away, did he?). But I digress.

The album brings us two devotional numbers: a Devi aarti 'Tumre Bhavan Mein'
and a Sufi prayer
'Arziyan'. The aarti, sung by Rekha Bharadwaj, Kishori Gowariker, Shraddha
Pandit and Sujata
Mazumdar is a simple aarti, set to minimal orchestra, and has a soothing
effect.

Arziyan is a Sufi qawwali, most likely in a Dargah setting, and has good vocals
by Javed Ali
and Kailash Kher. Rahman has, in the past, given us some really great
devotional songs: 'Roshan
hui raat' (Sapne), 'Piya Haji Ali' (Fiza), 'O Palan Hare' (Lagaan) and 'Khwaja
mere Khwaja'
(Jodha-Akbar). Somehow, these two songs from Delhi 6 are not quite in the same
league (but a
good listen, nonetheless).

We then have Shreya Ghoshal facing the challenge of singing along with what has
been
eternalized by Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan saheb's vocals. 'Bhor Bhaye' is a
beautiful morning
song set to Gujari Todi, and it is refreshing to see a classical melody here.
And while Shreya
does a great job, the sing along concept sort of dampened the effect of this
beautiful song.
But based on the movie trailer (which showed Sonam singing along/doing Riyaaz),
this possibly
is a requirement of the movie.

Next comes a pleasant surprise in the form of Rekha Bhardwaj's voice in a
wedding number 'Genda
Phool', backed up by Sharddha Pandit and Sujata Mazumdar and packed with
earthy, folksy flavor.
Did I suddenly think 'Maa da ladla'?? Ah, the 'quack-quack' makes an appearance
here. While it
suited 'Maa da ladla' in keeping with fun spirit of the song, it only hinders
the enjoyment
here. A version of the song sans duck vocals, please? Try it for the sheer
pleasure of
listening to Rekha Bhardwaj.

Given the effect the title song of 'Rang De Basanti', I am sure the
expectations from the title
song here must be very high. 'Delhi 6' has Blaaze, Benny Dayal, Vivienne Pocha,
Tanvi Shah and
Claire gettng together for the title song. And what happens next? We get a
mishmash sort of
track, which opens fine, but derails soon! Are expectations getting the better
of me here? Good
instrumentals, but I found something lacking and can not place my finger on it
yet. Help! But
hey, the "gali hai deewanon ki dilli" line is really infectious :)

'Noor' unfolds Amitabh Bachchan's philosophical voice over and will be a
pleaser for his fans.

Follow it up with some rap, shall we? 'Hey Kala Bandar' is a fun song with some
innovative
lyrics (props to Prasoon Joshi), and is performed by Karthik, Naresh Iyer and
Bony Chakraborty
(who is also responsible for singing the mad, mad 'Emosanal Atyachar' from Dev
D). A cool
track, this one, which scores on so many levels!

For those moments when you want a soft, feather-light number to soothe you, you
have Rahman
presenting us a delightful, whispering number in 'Dil Gira Dafatan', sung by
Ash King and
Chinmayee. It is a delight to see Chinmayee here - I've been a fan of hers
since 'Kannathil
Muthamittal'. Ash King does a great job, considering that (according to
Chinmayee) this is his
first song in Hindi. The song just grows on you like magic (cliched, but true)!

'Rehna Tu' is another song with very different lyrics and has Rahman singing
this soft number
along with Benny Dayal and Tanvi Shah, with really impressive results. This
song is why I love
Rahman as a singer. The song packs a lilting surprise, leaving you mesmerized!
Rahman uses a
new instrument - Continuum to great effect for the instrumental piece in
Carnatic style. You
really wish the song to go on forever.

And here comes the best part, the classic Rahman, in 'Masakali' ! Mohit Chauhan
(Silk Route)
opens this song brilliantly with cool sing-song lyrics "Masakali, masakali, ud,
matakali,
matakali". Rahman blends the old world charm with today's music and creates a
song that will
last a long, long time. This is an inherently versatile song! Apparently
'masakali' is the name
of Sonam's pet dove in Delhi 6, and the song almost didn't make it to the
movie. Thank heavens
it did :). Clearly my pick of the album!

Waiting for the 21st, when the music gets officially released.

http://www.aspisdrift.com/2009/01/music-of-delhi-6.html