--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, mohd noor
<freshprince_2000_2000...@...> wrote:

> Just had a general question: Is Rahman a Malayalee, How authentic
is this claim? If he is which part of Kerala is his Native Place,
Does anyone of you Rahmaniacs have an answer?

> --- On Sun, 1/18/09, mohd noor <freshprince_2000_2000...@...>
wrote:

> From: mohd noor <freshprince_2000_2000...@...>
> Subject: Re: [arr] Good as gold
> To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sunday, January 18, 2009, 2:30 PM
>

> Just had a general question: Is Rahman a Malayalee, How authentic
is this claim? If he is which part of Kerala is his Native Place,
Does anyone of you Rahmaniacs have an answer?

> Regards,

Aishwarya Rai who has turned
> down more roles from Will Smith than she has acted in
international movies. So it is apt that a
> little man who looks like a genial garden gnome and is as
ferociously talented as he is
> unfailingly self-effacing, is enjoying the sort of global acclaim
that has eluded so many big
> talkers and pushy splashers.
>
> Allah Rakha Rahman sings his tune
> Allah Rakha Rahman, a Malayalee Muslim who was born a Hindu and
has been playing professionally
> since the age of 11, fulfils two of the most important criteria
for success in my book. One is
> of doing whatever you do best for at least 10,000 hours in a
lifetime, the golden mean that
> Malcolm Gladwell shows in his new book Outliers is the hallmark of
successful people.
> The other is humility, a lesson the late Randy Pausch says he
learnt quite early on his life.
> In The Last Lecture, he speaks of how he once complained to his
mother about a particularly
> difficult graduate class. "We know how you feel, honey," his
mother said. "When your father was
> your age, he was fighting the Germans."
>
> This is not to suggest that winning a Golden Globe or perhaps an
Oscar is anywhere close to
> winning a war, but there are wonderful things to learn from
Rahman's story. Look at the
> barriers he has broken: first in Bollywood which regards talent
from the south with the disdain
> reserved for the underclass. And then in the rest of the world,
which has gone from using his
> songs in end credits to giving him a movie of his own.
>
> It's not been easy. While Rahman's Bombay Dreams did fairly well
at the West End, it faltered
> on Broadway and pretty much the same fate befell the Toronto
staging of the Lord of the Rings
> musical, of which he was co-composer. But he hasn't let it affect
his enthusiasm for trying
> something new.
>
> Bollywood, which has immediately claimed Rahman as its own, hasn't
always been kind to him. It
> finds the Mozart from Madras too exacting and demanding. I
remember a particularly rueful
> comment from him at an awards function in Singapore where he
acknowledged an award for Lagaan
> but noted how Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham's soundtrack seemed far more
popular.

> Rahman has also followed a principle that few talented individuals
adhere to. Which brings me
> to the other Pausch lesson: If you want to achieve your dreams,
you had better learn to work
> and play well with others. Indeed, Rahman's newly set-up music
conservatory and his unique
> ability to pick gloss from dross makes him an institution builder,
not just a professional
> selfpromoter with a megaphone for a mouth.
>
> It's the kind of thing middle India needs to cling to right now
with another dream, built by an
> apparent model of rectitude, B. Ramalinga Raju, crumbling before
our very eyes.

> http://indiatoday. digitaltoday. in/index. php?option=
com_content& issueid=89& task=view& id=25460& sectionid= 23&Itemid= 1