I was elated to hear that AR Rahman won a Golden globe.[image: ARR -
Illayaraja]

It's great and in this context let me bring the (fuel the) most debated
topic or comparison. Who is the best music composer in India? Rahman or
Ilayaraja? (Leaving other options for simple reason that I don't know much
to discuss)

More comparisons are drawn between these two legends because of the fact
that they are from same part of the country. So I propose to put forth some
of the things I feel are worth considering, which will definitely help you
chose your favorite among them.

The most striking similarity between both of them is unmatched genius, which
revolutionized the Indian music arena. Both of their works reach one and all
without any boundaries, which placed them, much above their contemporaries.

Ilayaraja entered the industry when songs in movies were not of that
prominence in the films like when they used to be in the golden era of black
and whites. Songs were more like cigarette breaks in the films. Entry of
Illayaraja, with melody as his forte, people started loving his songs. He
enjoyed a star status in Tamil Nadu with his large cutouts being erected at
theatres in that time.

So perfect in his composition, (hear
this)<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwGeHvOCxfQ>Ilayaraja could play
the same notes in different ways that we cannot make a
difference. He is the one to introduce western instrumentation to south
Indian film music using electric and bass guitar extensively (hear
this)<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnUzteR2-w>.
But he always made sure that the soul of his tune is completely classical
though polished by western.

Rahman's entry was at a time when music had its recognition in the films. He
completely changed the face of Indian music with extensive use of technology
and impeccable recording quality with the resources available. He got a
jumpstart with Roja and never looked back, became a god to music lovers in
no time.

Many music directors till date fall flat trying to imitate Rahman. He
completely changed the old typical format of "mukhda antara mukhda" in the
songs. A lot of experimentation with multiple singers, varied instruments,
fusion, and the scale attempting classical, Hindustani, western classical,
jazz, rock what not.

Like Melody has been key to Illayaraja's songs, Harmony plays a key role in
Rahman's songs.

Illayaraja composed songs, which can be remembered even after centuries for
their melodious tunes. However, he did not get a chance to work with a
variety of directors, except Maniratnam, Bharatiraja, Vamsi, Vishwanath.
Music given to each had its own flavour in tune with the director's taste.

For instance nobody can expect the
first<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqo_fzg37z8&feature=related>and
second <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuMaEdEcx9w> are from the same
composer. His key focus was to never leave the melody in the song, even in
if there is no big situation in the movie to inspire him. Watch this
song, Malli
Malli <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y45g1bXR2o>.

Rahman on the other hand had it ranging from Maniratnam to Shankar to
Ashutosh Gowarikar. This helped him to induce a lot of variety from
Sivaji<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQXAHfS25gU>to
Khwajaji <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvTkgLpN4BU>. It's like he has no
boundaries and can attempt anything, which is a rare quality in a composer.
But again, he still has signature on the song with his harmony you can say
it's a 'Rahman song'.

Finally, in my view, Illayaraja can be called as a King of Melody and
Rahman, the king of Harmony!

Hail! ARR! Hail! Illayaraja
http://indiaspecial.net/entertainment/what-prevails-illayarajayam-or-rahmania/

--