Even though AB & MB 'wanted' to say the same thing as what Shekar
Kaput has said, but their 'tone' of voice or their message was
somewhere lost, the way Shekar Kapur has explained it in simple
words. And thankfully, Shekar didn't evaluate the movie.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Vinayakam Murugan
<mvinaya...@...> wrote:

> This is exactly what AB & MB said but got blasted for.
>
> My personal opinion is that the Oscar provides more visibility to
ARR's work
> for the entire world and extends its boundaries. So that definitely
is an
> achievement.
>
> Warm Regards
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Vinayak
>
> theregoesanotherday.blogspot.com
>

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Vithur <vith...@...> wrote:
>
> >   (For the benefit of those who are unable to open the link)
> >
> >  Rahman and the Oscars
> >
> > I am really happy for A R Rahman. He is a musical genius, and
deserves
> > everything he has got. In fact I gave him the title "Mozart of
Madras" and
> > it caught on. But does the West really get his art and his
genius ? I
> > remember getting into an argument with Andrew Lloyd Webber about
allowing A
> > R Rahman to explore his own creativity for Bombay Dreams. We had
co produced
> > the show and I had introduced Rahman and his music to him.
> >
> > I asked A R Rahman to score the music for Golden Age, and even
then I was
> > allowed only to take him as a co composer. And I watched as the
studio
> > rejected the most beautiful compositions from A R Rahman, because
they did
> > not get or were not willing to embrace something from another
culture. As it
> > happened the score of Golden Age was not half as good as it could
have been.

> > Recently Rahman did the score for my short film that I did for
Swarovsky,
> > called Paasage. The one I shot in Argentina. One of the pieces in
it is a
> > beautiful song and an aria in French. I ask people to guess where
it is
> > from, and they search for all the great composers of the western
classical
> > form. And are stunned when I tell them the piece was composed by
A R Rahman,
> > sung by an Indian girl from his Music Academy, and produced in
his studio in
> > Chennai.
> >
> > That is the genius of A R Rahman. Then why do we need the West to
tell us
> > how great he is ?
> >
> > And that's why I don't understand why this hype of the Oscars for
A R Raham
> > in Indian Media (Rah Rah Rahman was the TOI headline).. He is
bigger than
> > the Oscars Slumdog is not his best work. His music has been far
more
> > evocative than in Slumdog.
> >
> > We in India have a far greater culture of music. Our depth of
understanding
> > of music, its resonance, its culture, be it classical or modern,
is far
> > greater than any culture I know. So why don't I see that the West
celebrates
> > when one of their artists becomes popular here in India ? Why
don't we see
> > headlines in the LA times then ?
> >
> > Why do we admire the West so much. Even in my career I thought
that Bandit
> > Queen was a far far better film, a more heartfelt film, and a
much more
> > meaningful film than Elizabeth or any of the other films I made
in the West.
> > But in India I was suddenly celebrated as a film maker after
Elizabeth. I
> > even was awarded a Padma Shree after that film. Why ? Because the
film was
> > nominated for 7 Oscars, and Bandit Queen was not.
> >
> > When will we stop being aspirational towards the West ?
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Chord <purev...@...> wrote:
> >
> >>   This is a great read. Thanks.
> >>
> >> --- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com <arrahmanfans%
40yahoogroups.com>,

http://www.shekharkapur.com/blog/archives/2009/01/rahman_and_the.htm

> [...]
Argentina.

> > --
> > regards,
> > Vithur

  • ... Aakarsh
    • ... Chord
      • ... Vithur
        • ... Vinayakam Murugan
          • ... sandeep venkatachari
          • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
            • ... r_a_j_e_e
        • ... V S Rawat
          • ... Vithur
            • ... V S Rawat