RSS <http://www.expressindia.com/fesyndication/screen.xml>

   Related Articles
'I'm the female Akshay
Kumar'<http://www.screenindia.com/news/im-the-female-akshay-kumar/393709/>'Hum'ming
away <http://www.screenindia.com/news/humming-away/277721/>BEYOND THE
FRONTIERS
<http://www.screenindia.com/news/beyond-the-frontiers/269804/>DIFFERENT
STROKES <http://www.screenindia.com/news/different-strokes/269801/>
*Danny Boyle has 11 Bafta nominations, four Golden Globe wins and now 10
Oscar nominations for Slumdog Millionare. Costing seven million pounds, the
film has already grossed six million pounds in the UK and 40 million dollars
in the US alone. The award-winning director tells how this blockbuster
almost landed up on DVD and more...*

*Are you excited that Slumdog Millionaire has been nominated for the Oscars
as well?*
We have been blessed by the fabulous response to the film! I am excited by
the Oscar nominations, but I was very anxious to know the response here. It
is very important for me that the Mumbai audience likes the film because it
has been shot here.

*How did you react to Amitabh Bachchan's scathing criticism about depicting
the impoverished side of Mumbai in the film?*
I have only shown what is real and tried to include the good with the bad! I
am proud to have painted a picture of Mumbai however imperfect it may be.
The sordid background was important to the film as it added to the drama of
the plot. The film would not have made an impact if the protagonist was from
an affluent background! Besides, what I wanted to portray was the
breathtaking resilience of the people of Mumbai. Everyone has their own
perceptive and we have to accept it!

*Have you met him?*
I never got to meet him, but I would like to! It's important to meet a
person with a different opinion, only then will the interaction be
interesting.

*What made you settle for an Indian backdrop?*
The world is changing, and it is quite clear that this is Asia's century!
And I loved Mumbai with all its imperfections. And the story, that you can
come from nowhere and still make it big, is universal. So it could be set
anywhere.

*The film which was to have a DVD release is now running to packed theatres
in the US and UK? How was that journey?*
Yes, we started off making a small film, and like it happens with all small
films we never knew what would happen next! And when our distributor who was
based in US backed out, we thought we would land up on DVD. But thanks to
Fox Star Studios, who put us on the big screen we made it. I bow down to
destiny for that! And how we got a great composer like Rahman and an actor
like Anil Kapoor from India is also destiny!

*Your first choice for the quizmaster's role was Shah Rukh Khan but it
didn't work out.*
Yes, we saw a recording of KBC and wanted him to play Prem, which is now
played by Anil Kapoor. I've been hugely welcomed here but Indian actors are
so busy doing day-and- night shifts that it is almost impossible to meet
them!

*How was it to have A R Rahman on board?*
It was Shekhar Kapur who put me on to Rahman. We were really lucky that he
agreed to do the film. His fusion numbers have carried the film forward.
Rahman has also become a big name in UK. When he went out during lunch-time
from his small studio, people would run across the dual carriageway to shake
hands with him! I felt so proud when he went to receive his Golden Globe!

*What was the most challenging thing about shooting the film here in Mumbai?
*
I think it was extremely challenging to shoot with the seven-year-olds next
to the railway tracks! I was so scared that they would get hurt, but action
director Sham Kaushal handled all the scenes so well, including their
dangling out of trains that were in motion!

*What are your expectations from the film in India?*
One could be knocked down by a bus tomorrow and everything could end in a
minute. I only live in the moment and never have any expectations!

*Would you like to make your next film in Mumbai as well?*
I'd love to! All the time I was making Slumdog…. I saw so many ingredients
for making a modern thriller! It's a vibrant place with so much to offer and
perhaps the only city in the world which sleeps only between 2 am to 4 am!

*One thing you like about Hindi films?*
I love the fact that they put the name of the director at a prominent
position in a film's credits!
http://www.screenindia.com/news/the-new-millionaire/416087/

--
regards,