From: V S Rawat <vsra...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [arr] Priyadarshan pans Slumdog
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 8:43 AM

On 1/31/2009 9:05 PM India Time, _Chord_ wrote:

> I've
> read Vikas Swarup's novel Q & A. It should have been made by Mani
> Ratnam. Then you'd have seen what he would have done with
Mumbai."

Mani has already made Bombay and has shown organized riots in there. Why
does P think Mani would hesitate from showing what Danny has shown.

> The angry director wonders why there isn't a single shot in Slumdog
> that shows the more aesthetic side of Mumbai? "Why has Danny Boyle
not
> taken one shot of Marine Drive? Do his slum dwellers exist only within
> their slums?

It is the director's prerogative to show what his vision is. We can
comment on or criticize that vision after seeing the film, but if we
expect director to make film as per our vision, then that would be our
film and not director's film. There is no rule that good side has to be
shown along with bad side.

> And look at the absurdities…A boy becomes a national hero
> on a game show.

People have indeed become national and international celebrities on
account of TV shows.

> One cop takes him under arrest and interrogates him
> relentlessly. Where is everyone else? Is this kind of confinement
> possible in this age when television cameras enter your bedroom?

The confinement was only for one night or at most less than 24 hours.
Nobody might have even come to know about his confinement so they are
not able to take any step. As per government rules, even a warrant is
not required, even an FIR need not be filed for such a "detention"
which
is not an arrest. By showing that, Danny has highlighted another ugly
part of indian administration. Real Police is much worse than the one
depicted by Danny Boyle.

> If
> one of our filmmakers had made the same film we would have blasted him
> out of business."

he he he.

Our filmmakers have made many films on riots, poverty, torture, and
every topic.

And we would not have felt bad about our our own filmmakers showing all
those bad sides. We are finding it hurting because an outsider is
showing us it all.

> "Let them give as many Oscars as they like. We don't need to be
> impressed," ends Priyan angrily.

Why is he angry?

--
Rawat

Are you searching for a reason, to be kind?
<b>

Admin: ad...@arrahmanfans.com