very well put Serge.

> > This is to tell that even if we were not an ARR fan, we still
would have appreciate SDM, this soundtrack is really extraordinary, no
doubts why the world appreciate it. We should be very lucky to
appreciate it more, being his fans, it is a gift to us. No hesitation,
I vote SDM songs and for a strategic vote, I vote Jai Ho.

exactly. SDM soundtrack is really awesome. it hurts me seeing all
these ignorant media people saying that it is ARR's average or it is
not ARR's best etc etc. to me O saya, Liquid dance, Mausam & Escape
and Latika's theme are extraordinary and enough to make it one of
ARR's bests in recent times. Jai ho is really mindblowing, I remember
how excited and rejoiced I was when I heard it first time on youtube,
I was like dancing with joy, because it is a fantastic, full of life
song, and very intelligent also as there could not have been a better
song to put in the end credits of such a film. I would not say Jai hi
is extraordinary but it is certainly a fantastic song. to me only
Ringa ringa is average and something I wished ARR had not done.
and yes i completely agree with you on that even I could have easily
misunderstood O saya and Mausam & escape someone else's work, they
dont sound ARR's work. this is his originality and creativity.

> I think that's why we always feel that past days were the best one,
this is applicable for everything in life, we always appreciate more
past memories, old movies, old songs, old feelings. We don't enjoy
today's life. I have nothing against old things, I also share the idea
of "Old is Gold", but that 's not a reason for not recognizing the
present good values, joy, happiness, ... (some members of this group
also said once, that they like old ARR music; some others find new ARR
music as "average" when the CD just got out, the same find it
excellent one month after.

so true. i second you fully.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, serge belier <s03g...@...> wrote:

> Gomzy, I share your point of view. I am not pulling down the WALL-E
song as I said that both are elligible for a win, but when it comes
for comparison, we have to end saying which one is better to be able
to vote. And I want ARR Sir to win.

> Truely, I think that ARR Sir has brought something different
combinning indian and western music, it is quite impossible for a
western composer to come out with this kind of indian/western score,
this is the originality of ARR Sir. HE has the background in both
musical culture. (this could have been done also by Talvin Singh,
Nitin Sawney or Karsh Kale, and I would have appreciate similarly if
their music have been used in a film).

> Honestly, even if I did not know that ARR Sir compose for SDM and if
somebody would have told me that it is done by another composer, I
would have appreciate it as I love fusion style (I like Talvin, Karsh,
Nitin and other for this kind of fusion).

> To tell you the truth, at the beginning, when we discover SDM on
this fan group, someone said only 2 or 3 tracks were composed by ARR
SIR (most of the talks were on the "Ringa" song), and that the other
were tracks from other composed or other movies (like the one from DON
by SEL). Knowing that, when I first listen to Millionaire, Liquid
Dance or Escape from the internet, I was telling to myself "hope these
tracks are from ARR, because I love them that much". I was telling
that to myself without too much insurance as ARR Sir never did this
kind of music in the past, and for me it was not his style of music.
And knowing Danny Boyle films, in which he usually uses old music from
different artists as he did in Trainspotting, I could not expect that
tracks like Millionaire, Liquid Dance or Escape are from ARR Sir. When
I knew that all tracks except the one from MIA (paper plane) and the
one from DON, are from ARR Sir, I can only rejoice myself.

> This is to tell that even if we were not an ARR fan, we still would
have appreciate SDM, this soundtrack is really extraordinary, no
doubts why the world appreciate it. We should be very lucky to
appreciate it more, being his fans, it is a gift to us. No hesitation,
I vote SDM songs and for a strategic vote, I vote Jai Ho.

> One last thing to conclude this mail, we always complain, even if
something is good, we still have negative critics, by doing that we
don't realize that we have something brilliant just in front of us
right now. I think that's why we always feel that past days were the
best one, this is applicable for everything in life, we always
appreciate more past memories, old movies, old songs, old feelings. We
don't enjoy today's life. I have nothing against old things, I also
share the idea of "Old is Gold", but that 's not a reason for not
recognizing the present good values, joy, happiness, ... (some members
of this group also said once, that they like old ARR music; some
others find new ARR music as "average" when the CD just got out, the
same find it excellent one month after. Don't worry it happened also
to myself many times. But now I still apppreciate old songs which
reminds me my chilhood and I also appreciate today's music, because I
am a music lover, I love all kind of music since there is a melody in)

> Sorry for my long mail, hope I did not hurt anyone, if I did I
convey my apologies (they are not intended).
> Being a silent member for so long, I wanted to share with all of you
my thoughts on this specific subject in this specific time (only 12
days left for the OSCAR results). I will be really really happy if ARR
Sir win, he will win !!!!

> Serge BELIER
> (Paris - France)
>

> To: arrahmanf...@...: gomtesh.upad...@...: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:27:16
+0000Subject: Re: Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel (Re: [arr] 'Slumdog'
vs. 'Wall-E' for best song)

> Why would i not want SDM to win? :)
>
> I was just trying to appreciate the other song too. We have this
habit of pushing something down to pull
> something up. :P Just giving my opinion thats all.
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM, serge belier <s03g...@...> wrote:
>

> Gomzy, I did not understand your position. Are you saying that Wall-
E is better than SDM ? Would you prefer that Wall-E win the oscar ?
At this stage of the competition, for me, both music are elligible for
winning, but being a true ARR fan, I want that ARR SIR wins.In other
terms, being in love with India, I wish an Indian wins. It's like when
there is a cricket match in which India is playing, will you wish that
India loses the game ??? Honestly, I hope I misunderstood your view.
Otherwise, I don't know what's going on in people mind, I don't
understand.Regards, Serge BELIER(Paris - FRANCE)

> To: arrahmanf...@...: gomtesh.upad...@...: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:09:28
+0000Subject: Re: Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel (Re: [arr] 'Slumdog'
vs. 'Wall-E' for best song)

> I heard Wall-E's Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel. I think that is the
song nominated for Oscar in the category of SDM songs.

> Yes Rawat. Thats the song.
>
> The song seems good, but English music has had enumerable equally
good or even better songs compared to that, whereas our man's SDM
songs have a novelty value as international level music from India.

> Are you telling that Jai Ho is the best ever from India and hindi
music?

> And something in this song reminds me of some of Bryan Adams' songs
and even his voice, not able to pinpoint which one. Anyone.

> Jai Ho reminds us of Bazi laga and the ATM song too. Thats not the
point.

> Watch the movie. You will appreciate the song better. Also check out
the lyrics. Great message.

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:22 AM, V S Rawat <vsra...@...> wrote:
>

> I heard Wall-E's Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel. I think that is the
song nominated for Oscar in the category of SDM songs.The song seems
good, but English music has had enumerable equally good or even better
songs compared to that, whereas our man's SDM songs have a novelty
value as international level music from India.And something in this
song reminds me of some of Bryan Adams' songs and even his voice, not
able to pinpoint which one. Anyone.--RawatOn 2/10/2009 10:02 AM India
Time, _Gopal Srinivasan_ wrote:> 'Slumdog' vs. 'Wall-E' for best song>
No clear frontrunner among Oscar nominees> By JON BURLINGAME> > For
the third time in the past 20 years, music-branch voters chose only
three tunes as best> song nominees. Two are from the same movie, and
two of the singers are world-class world-music> recording artists.> >
There is no clear-cut favorite this year, unlike, say, eight years ago
when Bob Dylan's win for> "Things Have Changed" was a foregone
conclusion, or the year of "Titanic" and its ubiquitous> Celine Dion
song. What happens Feb. 22 depends several factors.> > First, the
"Slumdog" phenomenon: Both of the key songs in "Slumdog Millionaire"
are nominated,> both co-written by leading Indian composer A.R. Rahman
(who is also nominated for his original> score). The soundtrack album
is rising fast on the charts, so a "Slumdog" win would not> surprise.>
> But which song? Will voters remember that it was "Jai Ho" that was
performed as an elaborately> choreographed, Bollywood-style dance
number in the Mumbai train station at the end of the> movie?> > "Jai
Ho," with Indian lyrics by poet Gulzar, may be the most talked-about
musical moment from> year-end films. And Oscar voters, excited about
the prospect of seeing the number re-created on> the telecast, may be
thinking about that when filling out their ballots. If it wins, it
will be> only the second foreign-language song to do so (after 2004's
"Al otro lado del rio" from "The> Motorcycle Diaries").> > But
Rahman's collaboration with London-born, Sri Lankan-raised Maya
Arulpragasam -- better> known to the pop world as M.I.A. -- on "O...
Saya" may resonate with younger voters for its> pounding rhythms,
electronica sound and rap-style vocals. That song's used earlier in
the film,> as police chase poor youngsters from an airport tarmac
through the streets.> > "Slumdog's" competition is the song from the
end of the Disney-Pixar movie "Wall-E," co-written> by Thomas Newman
(also nominated for his score) and Peter Gabriel. The nom is Gabriel's
first> despite having composed scores for such films as "The Last
Temptation of Christ" and> "Rabbit-Proof Fence."> > Eight of the past
20 song statuettes have gone to tunes from animated movies (all Disney
pics> but one). And nine of the past 20 have gone to popular artists
(including Gabriel's ex-Genesis> bandmate Phil Collins, for "Tarzan,"
another Disney toon). Also, Gabriel's human-rights and> environmental
activism would seem to coincide with the politics of many Acad
voters.> > And, in recent years, voters have spread the Oscar wealth
among multiple pics. A "Slumdog"> score win could translate into a
"Wall-E" song win.> >
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999867.html?categoryId=3275&cs=1