By Parag Maniar
Posted On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 02:39:15 AM

As India was still celebrating the success of Jai Ho, India's bona
fide contribution to the British production Slumdog Millionaire, two
of its key participants, singer Sukhvinder Singh and lyricist Gulzar,
found themselves watching the event unfold on television, miles away
from Los Angeles where they were meant to be. The irony is sharper for
Singh, who was supposed to perform live along with AR Rahman at the
81st Academy Awards ceremony at Kodak Theatre. The singer and lyricist
could not make it to the event because their paperwork was botched.
Their absence has raised quite a few eyebrows in the music industry.

A reliable source close to the singer said, "Sukhwinder was charged up
and was looking forward to the live performance at the Oscar event.
Rahman had worked out an updated version of Jai Ho and the two were to
sing the new version at the event."

However, Sukhwinder was surprised to learn that he had not received
the official work permit letter from the Oscar authorities. "A work
permit letter is required because Sukhwinder was to perform there.
Sukhwinder had even completed all the formalities, sending across a
photocopy of his passport along with the required important documents.
But somebody goofed up." Whether the balls-up came from Rahman's end
or Foxlight Productions is still a mystery.

Sukhwinder has some esteemed shoulders to cry on. Gulzar too failed to
receive an official letter from the Oscar committee. "Gulzar was
looking forward to the event too, but missed it because no letter came."

Sukhwinder, when contacted, confirmed that attending and performing at
the Oscar night remained a dream. "Yes it is true that I did not
receive any official intimation from there and therefore I could not
make it to the event. I don't know what went wrong. Rahman and I are
like brothers and he is not responsible for this. In fact, he was the
one who insisted on my performance at the event. Somewhere, someone
must have goofed up but I don't know who is responsible for it."

Gulzar remained unavailable for comment. Composed by AR Rahman and
penned by lyricist Gulzar, the song Jai Ho won the Oscar in the Best
Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score category.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/2009022420090224023915373a626fa8d/Why-Gulzar-and-Sukhwinder-were-missing-at-the-Oscars