i don't think anyone would have done what Sukhwinder did to the song.
he absolutely rocked it with his unique out of the world voice. i
don't have words to explain magic of his voice in the song. to me no
singer including Sonu, Udit, SP Bala, Hariharan, KK, etc etc got the
range of voice he's got (i am not talking about who is better singer,
i am talking about voice).

and i personally feels that ARR should have thanked or at least
mentioned him while accepting award for best song (i know many of you
will not like me saying this). in fact i was very much sure that he
would thank all singers associated to the song as after ARR this is
the singers who really rocked the song. Sukhwinder's case is special
because he is the main singer and also because he could not attend the
ceremony due to the mishap. i was expecting boss to add something like
"unfortunately the original singer of the song Sukhwinder Singh could
not attend.. ". i am sure boss forgot to do that in excitement. this
would have come as relief for Sukhwinder also who must have been very
much upset on missing performing on Oscar stage. does not it sound
strange that the person who sang the Oscar winning song is being
completely ignored everywhere??

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, subbu satish <ssatishsi...@...>
wrote:

> In some newsyesterday, read as Sukwinder singh wanted to know from
rahman why he was not intimated to join oscars but said he wont ask
AR. But through interview he asked it. Also Indian tv
channels hesitated to project Gulzars name with AR's name inspite his
name announced clearly with AR for best song category. Probably they
are aware of gulzars seniority in film industry & does not need a
mention in this small project & unexpected win. This is to stress
Rahman is not the person to b blamed at this point when official
invitation letters dont reach them in time. Rahman sees to it Gulzars
name included in original song. At the least AR is the first person
who raised voice for lyricists in publishing rights controversy. Here
too ARR proved that gulzars name included for best song. What one
could do when there is miscommunication from official side. But i wish
Rahmah himself could perform at best this Jai Ho song originally &
wondered why he chose
>  Sukwinder for recording. There is also no such nomination for best
singers & best instrumentalists in oscar to include either singers or
the people behind instuments who also performed this Jai Ho. So no
regrets & no blaming.

Gulzar,
> found themselves watching the event unfold on television, miles away
> from Los Angeles where they were meant to be. The irony is sharper
for
> Singh, who was supposed to perform live along with AR Rahman at the
> 81st Academy Awards ceremony at Kodak Theatre. The singer and
lyricist
> could not make it to the event because their paperwork was botched.
> Their absence has raised quite a few eyebrows in the music industry.
>
> A reliable source close to the singer said, "Sukhwinder was charged
up
> and was looking forward to the live performance at the Oscar event.
> Rahman had worked out an updated version of Jai Ho and the two were
> sing the new version at the event."
>
> However, Sukhwinder was surprised to learn that he had not received
> the official work permit letter from the Oscar authorities. "A work
> permit letter is required because Sukhwinder was to perform there.
> Sukhwinder had even completed all the formalities, sending across a
> photocopy of his passport along with the required important
documents.
> But somebody goofed up." Whether the balls-up came from Rahman's end
> or Foxlight Productions is still a mystery.
>
> Sukhwinder has some esteemed shoulders to cry on. Gulzar too failed
> receive an official letter from the Oscar committee. "Gulzar was
> looking forward to the event too, but missed it because no letter
came."

> Sukhwinder, when contacted, confirmed that attending and performing
at
> the Oscar night remained a dream. "Yes it is true that I did not
> receive any official intimation from there and therefore I could not
> make it to the event. I don't know what went wrong. Rahman and I are
> like brothers and he is not responsible for this. In fact, he was
the
> one who insisted on my performance at the event. Somewhere, someone
> must have goofed up but I don't know who is responsible for it."
>
> Gulzar remained unavailable for comment. Composed by AR Rahman and
> penned by lyricist Gulzar, the song Jai Ho won the Oscar in the Best
> Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
category.

> http://www.mumbaimi rror.com/ article/2/ 2009022420090224
023915373a626fa8 d/Why-Gulzar- and-Sukhwinder- were-missing- at-the-
Oscars