Even though 'JAI HO' is not AR's best, It is still a very good song. I
really hope people get to hear the rest of AR's songs!

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Bivin Chandra <bivinchan...@...>
wrote:

> K. Sreedevi  | Friday, 27 February , 2009, 18:55
>
> Chennai: Did you know that Slumdog Millionaire - the film that
bagged eight Oscars this year - had no takers when it was released?
And that Rahman feels more passionate about his songs in the Aamir
Khan-starrer Lagaan than about Jai Ho?

> “ I had only five per cent expectation about the Oscar for Slumdog
Millionaire. In fact, I was more bothered about my live performance
and that was extraordinary and its impact was much more,” confessed a
jet-lagged Rahman at the first press meet after his Oscar award on
Thursday, February 26, in Chennai.

> “Originally, they wanted me to do a live performance of the Hindi
remix song, aaj ki raat. But I wanted to present my own composition
before the world audience and hence I changed it to Jai Ho,” said the
Mozart of Madras, who made up for the two-hour delay in the press meet
by patiently obliging the battery of press photographers and
television crew with exclusive shots with both Oscars in hand.

> “Music has no language and it is this aspect that the film has
brought out,” said Rahman who humbly dedicated his double Oscars to
all his countrymen.

> Confessing that Slumdog Millionaire was definitely not his
masterpiece, Rahman said Jai Ho was more about “a burst of joy and
signified the release of external energy.” He attributed the awards
to Gulzar’s skills of making the songs “phonetically catchy”
which clicked with the Western audience.

>  “Though the Americans are clueless about the meaning of the song,
words like Jai Ho, O Saya, Ringa, ringa seem to have caught their
fancy and am happy that they are now listening to Indian music,” said
the Oscar winner, who already has a couple of Hollywood offers at
hand.

> When pointed out that the film had bagged the Oscars only under a
British tag, Rahman replied, “Hollywood is the world’s stage and
films are pieces of art and they are valued for their worth. Only
India had not got there till now but this was India’s time. Danny
Boyle’s film was a beautiful one and my music was just an ornament
that added to the beauty. This award would popularise Indian music in
the world scenario. A lot of collaboration is possible now.”

> Admitting that he felt more joyous and comfortable with devotional
songs than beat songs, Rahman felt that the Oscars had doubled his
responsibility and that now “his priority was doing good films, be
it in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu or English.”

> “My dream is to connect people with music and probably this
incident has unified all of us. I think this is a starting point of
extraordinary things,” he proclaimed.

> When queried about the partying and gifts that followed the Oscars,
Rahman admitted that he had to leave all the champagne bottles back in
the US owing to Customs trouble and brought back only the 2 Oscar
statuettes “which carried a cash award of $500 each”.

> “After all that news, it was my kids who were more relieved to see
me back. They bunked school that day and kept on e-mailing me â€"
Daddy, get back to us,” said the responsible father.

> http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14863355

  • ... Bivin Chandra
    • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
      • ... shahul hameed