I thought songs nominated for the Oscars needs to be performed.. I wonder y
would the academy ask ARR to perform a song which is not composed by him? Is
this interview really an authentic one?

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:00 PM, ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala
acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni . <
sriramiye...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>   Even though 'JAI HO' is not AR's best, It is still a very good song. I
> really hope people get to hear the rest of AR's songs!
>
> --- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com <arrahmanfans%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Bivin Chandra <bivinchan...@...>
> wrote:
> >

> > K. Sreedevi | Friday, 27 February , 2009, 18:55
> >
> > Chennai: Did you know that Slumdog Millionaire - the film that
> bagged eight Oscars this year - had no takers when it was released?
> And that Rahman feels more passionate about his songs in the Aamir
> Khan-starrer Lagaan than about Jai Ho?
> >

> > “ I had only five per cent expectation about the Oscar for Slumdog
> Millionaire. In fact, I was more bothered about my live performance
> and that was extraordinary and its impact was much more,†confessed a
> jet-lagged Rahman at the first press meet after his Oscar award on
> Thursday, February 26, in Chennai.
> >
> > “Originally, they wanted me to do a live performance of the Hindi
> remix song, aaj ki raat. But I wanted to present my own composition
> before the world audience and hence I changed it to Jai Ho,†said the
> Mozart of Madras, who made up for the two-hour delay in the press meet
> by patiently obliging the battery of press photographers and
> television crew with exclusive shots with both Oscars in hand.
> >

> > “Music has no language and it is this aspect that the film has
> brought out,†said Rahman who humbly dedicated his double Oscars to
> all his countrymen.
> >
> > Confessing that Slumdog Millionaire was definitely not his
> masterpiece, Rahman said Jai Ho was more about “a burst of joy and
> signified the release of external energy.†He attributed the awards
> to Gulzar’s skills of making the songs “phonetically catchyâ€
> which clicked with the Western audience.
> >
> > “Though the Americans are clueless about the meaning of the song,
> words like Jai Ho, O Saya, Ringa, ringa seem to have caught their
> fancy and am happy that they are now listening to Indian music,†said
> the Oscar winner, who already has a couple of Hollywood offers at
> hand.
> >

> > When pointed out that the film had bagged the Oscars only under a
> British tag, Rahman replied, “Hollywood is the world’s stage and
> films are pieces of art and they are valued for their worth. Only
> India had not got there till now but this was India’s time. Danny
> Boyle’s film was a beautiful one and my music was just an ornament
> that added to the beauty. This award would popularise Indian music in
> the world scenario. A lot of collaboration is possible now.â€
> >
> > Admitting that he felt more joyous and comfortable with devotional
> songs than beat songs, Rahman felt that the Oscars had doubled his
> responsibility and that now “his priority was doing good films, be
> it in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu or English.â€
> >
> > “My dream is to connect people with music and probably this
> incident has unified all of us. I think this is a starting point of
> extraordinary things,†he proclaimed.

> [...]
  • ... Bivin Chandra
    • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
      • ... shahul hameed