http://specials.rediff.com/entertai/2009/feb/27sld1-rahman-on-winning-oscar-awards.htm

'The main source of creativity lies in being spiritual'

Since the Oscar nominations were announced on January 22, A R Rahman told
Rediff India Abroad's Arthur J Pais that he has trained himself not to have
expectations.
"When you truly try to tell yourself not to expect anything, you don't get
disappointed if you don't get an award," he says in the second part of the
interview, the first segment, which we published on Thursday.
Every six-foot space in Chennai has a poster of him from the Oscar event, he
says. "I often go to a dargah in Cuddapah district (Andhra Pradesh) to pray. I
am planning to go there in a day or two," he continues. "I get my spiritual
sustenance there, and most important, I continue to learn of humility."

Humility was very much on his mind when he recited a line in Tamil in his Oscar
acceptance speech which declares that without God's help nothing could be
achieved.
"In my success and failures, I tell myself that," the composer who was
nominated for three Oscars in two categories, arguably an Oscar record, says.
"I have been uttering the Tamil saying at practically every award I have
received since Roja was released. I grew up believing that we are all
instruments in the hands of God. The main source of creativity to me lies in
being spiritual."

'I cannot think of composing when there is bitterness and anger in my heart'

In his second thank you speech, he also spoke about choosing between hate and
love.
"Right from childhood, I had been told especially by my mother, and later by
Sufi saints about the importance of purging oneself of hateful and conflicting
thoughts," he explains.
"In our daily lives and work, we are confronted with negative thoughts. There
are divisions based on religion, ethnic backgrounds, languages... Unless we
learn to rise above them and embrace true spirituality, how can we produce
something really beautiful?"
"At least I cannot think of composing something when there is bitterness and
anger in my heart," he said. "And that is what I meant when I said that because
I chose love I could be here (in Hollywood and at the Oscars)."
He prevailed at the Oscars over heavyweight Hollywood composers like Danny
Elfman (Milk), Thomas Newman (WALL-E) and James Newton Howard (Defiance), not
to forget the distinguished Alexandre Desplat (The Curious Case of Benjamin
Button) from France

'Oscar rules said if I wasn't wearing a tux, I should wear something black and
it could be Indian'

"I wish my entire family could have been there," he says. "My children were
unable to join us." He appeared on major television programmes including the
celebrated Today and Oprah shows. Oprah Winfrey asked him to perform Jai Ho,
and also asked him what it meant.
The week-long Oscar sojourn in Los Angeles was so hectic that he cancelled
coming to New York for the world premiere of Delhi 6, for which he composed the
music.
Rahman wore a flowing sherwani at the ceremony. "I usually don't wear black,"
he says laughing. "But Oscar rules said if I wasn't wearing a tux (which I wore
for the red carpet), I should wear something black and it could be Indian."
His wife Saira has been choosing his clothes in the past two years. "I am very
happy with that for it gives me time for my music," he says.

'I wanted Sukhi there to sing Jai Ho'

But there were regrets as well.
"I wanted Sukhi (Sukhvinder Singh) there to sing Jai Ho," he says ruefully. "I
wanted Sivamani (the talented percussionist) to be part of the show too. But
then I had no control over the creative aspects of the show. The dances were
choreographed by Fatima Robinson (a big name in Hollywood). I could not
coordinate anything. Also, Sukhi's schedule could not fit our schedule."
Rahman sang not only Jai Ho, but also O Saya which he performed for the film
with hip-hop artist M.I.A. She could not make it to the Oscars because she had
to take care of her newly born son. At one point, there was speculation whether
she would sing from her bed in her New York home.
"So there were a few disappointing moments," he continues. Gulzar (who wrote
Jai Ho) could not come either. I am very angry with him," Rahman says, quickly
adding a chuckle. "He had the air ticket, the invitation, and the hotel room.
But a day or two before flying to Los Angeles he hurts himself while playing
tennis. I really missed him."

The Slumdog Millionaire nominees walked the red carpet and then there were the
artists from the film including Irrfan Khan and Anil Kapoor. "But what made me
really happy, what moved me very much was that the seven children from the film
were there," he said.
"There were two who lived in the slums. But they were all treated equally --
watching that was an unforgettable experience."