On 9/12/2009 2:10 PM India Time, _aristocratic bureaucrat_ wrote:

> yeah. i love the usage of such words. but according to the lyrics
> booklet, the song goes�
>
> khoya sa, paya sa,
> saaya sa, soya saa..�

O my God. that makes perfect sense.

It also proves that whatever some members here are equating music with
mathematics, lyrics surely are not mathematics. Two independent words or
syllables when written together give an altogether different meaning.

And the above reinforces my petty (some find it not "petty") peeve about
our man roughshodding lyrics to let the music have its way. The above 4
pairs of two words each now sound so beautiful, so meaningful, so well
written, so simple yet ocean-deep, that it was unjustified that ARR used
them so that none of we could understand a single of them all the while
we all have been listening to it 24x7.

I think some might still find it wordsmithing - just putting the rhyming
words together, but the way I look into lyrics, I am feeling that the
above is much better than entire guzarish forced rhyming, though second
line pairs in the above could have been slightly more related.

For those of us who are not much into hindi, here is the translation:
khoya sa - somewhat lost
paya sa - somewhat like having gained something
saaya sa - somewhat shadowey
soya saa - somewhat sleepy

Thanks a gig, dear aristocratic bureaucrat, for sharing this with us.
You made by day by highlighting the deeper meaning.

--
Rawat