A music producer can do anything from making coffee to just sitting back and
listening. That sounds like an easy job, and it can be. When you have a great
recording engineer doing the recording, and great artists and musicians around
you creating great music a producer's job becomes very easy. But when you are
on a budget with very limit studio time, a busy schedule, a singer that keeps
messing up the vocal track because he/she is nervous, the drummer that can't
get the groove right, a recording engineer who can't get the computer to record
the next track your job as a producer becomes a lot more challenging. And this
is what being a good producer is being about. At these moments a producer needs
to be a problem solver and make decisions. Every producer does it differently,
but the result is the same, a recorded and well produced song.

To be able to make it work a producer may have to get involved with the
technical stuff and help the recording engineer out. Or you may have to get the
singer to make the vocal track work with the song by changing the lyrics,
changing the melody or give some vocal pointers. It may also involve rewriting
part of the music by changing chords, adding samples and sound effects and
creating a complete new drum rhythm from scratch. And there are a lot of other
situations where a good producer needs to take charge and show why he (or she)
is the producer.

Being a producer can involve

Getting into the music (music theory)
Getting into the songwriting process and learning about songwriting and
sequencing
Knowing some things about recording
Being able to work with musicians and artist and get the best out of them
Working with a recording engineer and other studio owners
Using sound effects, samples and other techniques to make song sound different
and unique
Mixing and editing the song
Mastering the song

In today's music the producer is usually also a songwriter, a musician and
recording engineer. This makes the job both easier and more difficult.

source: http://www.musiciansnews.com/61/what_does_a_music_producer_do.shtml

Here's a good explanation as well:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4951096_what-does-music-producer-do.html