Dinesh, I understand your point as I too grew up listening to ARR's songs all
my life. Without meaning to sound disrespectful to MDs like Ilayaraja,
Jatin-Lalit and others, I wish to state that I never had much interest in
Indian music before Roja. I found that most of the tunes to be repetitive,
predictable and at most times distasteful (at least to me). And the only time I
actually listen to these songs was when they are played in the movie. So much
so, that the thought of purchasing the audio cassette never occured in my mind.

And then, Roja came. It swept me like a fresh breath of air. The blissful
Chinna Chinna Aasai still gives me goosebumps today! Movies like Gentleman,
Puthiya Mukham, Thiruda Thiruda, Duet followed suit and by then, I was hooked
to ARR's music. The first cassette that I bought in my life was ARR's
Gentleman. (I actually saved my allowance money for months to purchase the
cassette). The first cd that I bought was ARR's Minsara Kanavu. In short, it's
safe to say that my life revolved around ARR's music. I grew up with them...I
grew up in them.

Therefore, it came as no surprise to me that he went on to make major changes
to his music. Why should I? The revolution he made was the sole reason that
generated me to listen to Tamil music in the first place. Thus, I'm proud to
say that I love Guru, Rang De Basanthi, and Blue as much as I love Roja,
Gentleman and Puthiya Mukham. I would go on to say that the new genre he
creates, the new tunes he invents is as priceless as any of his previous
compositions.

And that is the reason why I beg to differ with Sriram's and your opinion. When
you say (and I quote) "And i too truly believe the lack usage of carnatic
raagam is the sole
fact of his lack of soulfulness albums nowadays", naturally, it would irk some
members' feelings. You have rights to your own opinion of course, nevertheless,
stating your opinion as a fact is totally uncalled-for.

I agree when some say ARR has reduced the usage of carnatic music in his recent
songs. But to quote that as the reason for the lack of soulfulness in his
recent albums is definitely debatable. To begin with, carnatic music is not the
only genre in Indian music. History states that carnatic is the sub-genre of
Indian classical music. The other being Hindustani music, which have also
played a major role in all indian music (and I truly believe that Tamil films
are no exception to them either). Therefore the limitation of a particular
genre of music will definitely not be a reason for lack of any soulfulness in
any music, let alone ARR's.

In your previous mail, you mentioned about a gentleman who is well versed in
carnatic music. Your mail suggested that you agree with his view that the lack
of carnatic music is the reason why many feel that ARR has lost his touch, and
that's the sole fact.

Allow me to pose a question. Do you know what raga was used to compose En Veetu
Thothatil from Gentleman, or Ennavale from Kadhalan?

Truthfully, I didn't know that pure carnatic music were used to compose these
masterpieces. To me, they were film songs and more accurately, ARR's songs. I
never bothered to analyse the genre of the songs...not back then and not even
now. And I believe many don't analyse them either. They simply enjoy the songs
for the way it has been created.

The same goes for Rehnuma in Blue. I love this song...I've been hearing them
for the umpteenth time now. What genre of music does this song generate from?
Again, I have no clue. I just love it for the way it has been presented.

And to think about it, does Rehnuma which seemingly a western song lack the
soul of Ennavale, a classical based song? In my opinion, they don't. If
Ennavale was composed today, using western music and western instruments, I
believe it would still be soulful. Because soul doesn't lie in a particular
system of music...it lies in the way the song is presented.

People who are inclined towards carnatic music might find songs like Fiqrana
and Rehnuma as "soul-less". Likewise, those who love western music might find
songs like Sowkiyama from Sangamam a-little-too-hard-to-digest. But ARR's music
was never catered to fulfil a certain section's need. The beauty of his music
is that he never left any stones untouched. There's always something for
everyone. That is why he, a Tamilian, could create a storm in the Bollywood, a
territory where many south musicians wanted to venture but failed. And that is
again why he managed to storm into Hollywood and succeed there as well.

I don't want to tell your good gentleman friend to listen to Rehnuma before
deciding on the "lack of soul" topic. In all probabilites, his love for ARR's
carnatic touch is what preventing him from finding other genres as soul-less.
But growing up with ARR's music, my only  wish is that ARR doesn't limit
himself to a particular system of music. I don't ever want to state that I love
ARR's music because he brings out the carnatic touch so beautifully, or that
his western music is to die-for!

I love ARR's music because they never cease to surprise me...because they never
fail to bring a happiness to me...and because they complete me!