On 10/16/2009 7:22 PM India Time, _Jahanzeb_ wrote:

> same is true for me too. though I liked the album a lot but somehow I
> am not listening to it as much as I normally do for ARR albums after
> their release. it was on repeat on my playlist for like 2 weeks after
> its release but now it is seldom there. this of course is a downside
> of a commercial (yet rocking) album like Blue; though it is instant
> hit but not long-lasting.
>

> - Jahanzeb

Till, songs used to grow on listeners, we now get a category of songs that
grow-down on listeners.

I think that initial response to an album depends on past experiences people
have had with the same brand (be it MD, production house, director, etc.).
People who had liked earlier creations by someone expect that person's new
creations also to be likeable. But, when they experience what actually is in
the new creation, it reinforces or contradicts their expectations and they
might change their opinion for better or for worse.

That is why Blue got an initial response on the high tide of ARR having got so
many awards. But, after listening to it, and after seeing the movie, people
seem to modifying their opinions about Blue and about ARR as described above.

Yuvvraj movie was bad and it flopped, but its music was good.

D6 movie was bad and it flopped, but its music was excellent.

I wonder what people now feel about blue movie and blue music. It is still
first day of the movie and box office has unpredictable ways of unfolding. I
don't know whether the movie is going to flop very badly, and I will be utterly
surprised if blue movie becomes a hit. For sure, blue movie is not going to
help people find blue music better.

The sad part is: blue music has a lot of experimentation by our man. A richness
of music, it is lavish, complex, multifaceted. All that has a lot of
possibilities which ARR might have thought to explore and add in the future
albums. But if blue music is not rated good enough, people and even ARR himself
might think that all these experimentations have no takers and ARR might decide
to stop/ reduce all experimenting and to stop/ reduce further exploring this
line of experimentation. If it happens it will be sad because experimentation
is essential part of variety and innovation. ARR should continue experimenting
as always.

If at all any lesson needs to be learnt by ARR by blue fiasco, it is: Choose
the films carefully. work with directors who give more/ complete freedom to him
to compose music, even if they are new and even if their films are not big
budgets. Avoid high flying names. None of this conclusion is new. We all know
these, we all have said it many times, but it does get reinforced by blue.

--
Rawat