Yashraj didn't have a single major hit last year.

Whether a movie is good or bad is purely on hindsight. The actors and other
technicians come on board purely on the basis of their gut feeling of the
story and how it is going to turn out. So there is definitely an element of
luck in the whole process.

Sholay, one of the biggest grossers of Indian cinema, ran to empty shows for
the first 2-3 weeks. Ramesh Sippy was so confident of his product that he
funded its presence in the theatres for that time. Later on it picked up on
the basis of word to mouth publicity and ran for 5 whole years.

Lamhe, Lakshya, Swades , these were some very good films which didn't run.
Lagaan was considered to be a very big risk. The length , the dialect and
the story were supposed to be very big no - nos. However it clicked.

If anyone knew what would click beforehand, they would make millions. Sadly
that's not possible. So there will be the occasional hit and the more
frequent flop.

Let's sit back and enjoy the vagaries of life rather than hanker for the
impossible - an sixer of every ball.

Warm Regards
Vinayak

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rightplacerighttime/