After some corrections and additions:

If there's a distinct trend that I see in ARR's music over time, it's his
reduced emphasis on musical adventurism and acrobatics and increased emphasis on
subtle musical forms within a composition, often perceived subjectively as "not
living up to his own standards". I don't agree with that notion since it's ARR
who recreates his own standards with each release, just like destroying his own
ego before a compositional session. The burden of responsibility to recognize
this is up to the listener, who may be challenged and confounded by expectations
and biases, which is normal and natural. Again, these are trends only and just
from my observational standpoint...nothing is black and white or exclusionary.
This trend may be a function of two forces: 1)Age (emphasizing more of a
gestalt perspective) 2) Progressive evolution as part of a unique artist whose
mindset is bent on conceptual expansion and really trying hard to avoid being
typecasted, escaping from his own set trails to form new and distinct roads.
The music of VTV is a major step in AR's evolutionary process as an artist who's
never content with the status quo, or even his own previous success. Remember,
it's the artist over the entertainer, and in VTV, it's the pure artist within
ARR, even beyond musician, that is in the driver's seat. I will not comment on
the lyrics since I don't understand Tamil.

1) Omanna Penne:
Steady and soothing.....a composition that oozes with spiritualism and
introspection. I love how AR juxtaposes the Western rhythms with the Carnatic
raagas first by the female voice, and weaving throughout the stylistic
Nadaswaram, whose roots are deeply Carnatic, but expressed so universally in
this track. Wonderful singing by Benny and the Nadaswaram ending is surely a
page from the Rehna Tu continuum outro. Nothing fancy in this composition, but
the feeling left behind is extremely elevating and cleansing. Fantastic start.
(8/10)

2) Anbil Avan:
ARR at his playful best. He must have had a lot of fun putting this track
together. There is nothing heavy or mind blowing about this track, but what
makes it work for me is the joyful innocence in the melody and the very
interesting sonic arrangements using a Shehnai type sound juxtaposed with a
church organ sound. The musical interlude that has this also has some very
nice, quick chord progressions that defy banality. The melody sticks easy and
would be a fun song to dance with. (7/10)

3) Vinnathaandi Varuvaayaa:
Wow......what a minimalistic impact! Minimalistic impact is something that I
have been missing from Rahman's oeuvre in recent films, but here it is, in its
full glory and form. Using a minimalistic sound template for a title song is
quite bold and outside the box, but boy does it work for me!!! The acoustic
strings (guitar? harp?) along with vibes and small bells create such a unique,
peaceful ambiance in this song that transports me into a dreamlike world.
Beautiful string additions in the mid section only add depth to amazing vocals,
chords, and heartfelt emotions in this gem, but likely to be underrated track.
Delicate, subtle, dreamy, ambient, soft, restrained, soothing, warming.....I can
go on and on..... Again, a track doesn't have to be complex and adventuresome to
be powerful....this is the genius of AR....he can create such a powerful
ambience using minimal quantity. (8/10)

4) Hosana:
There is no other composer in India who can arrange better than AR. In this
song, many of AR's strengths are showcased.....sound structure, layered, thick,
yet uncluttered arrangements, symphonic textures, haunting melody, soothing
ambiance. The sound layers are so clean and crisp....that beautiful strumming
acoustic guitar is so nice!!! Also worthy of metion is the high toned Scottish
flavored flute and the subtle mandolin rhythms in sync with the main rhythms,
punctuated by the pulsating string sections. The female choir with the angelic
expression is one of the most beautiful choir sounds I've heard. This song
sticks to you and won't let go. A complete masterpiece IMO that is one of the
best songs that ARR has composed in recent years. (9/10)

5) Kunnukkul Kannai
Another playful techno oriented track with some pleasing electronic
arrangements. The unique feature of this track for me are the string quartet
type rhythmic accents throughout that give this youth song a very Western
classical feel. Relatively simple by composition and sound, but again, a nice
dance number with good melody. Rahman not living up to his standards on this
one? Well, that's up to you to decide, but it's an enjoyable one for me, though
If I had to pick my least favorite in this soundtrack, it's this one. (7/10)

6) Mannipaaya
I was looking forward to this song ever since I knew Shreya and AR would be
singing it, a romantic duet. The song has everything I could hope for in a
romantic duet....breathtaking melody, beautiful soundscapes, sophisticated
arrangements, gentle ambiance, subtle symphonic artistry. I love the piano
backdrop and so many of the symphonic instruments can be heard in
isolation...oboe, clarinet, tympani, flute, etc. A very subtle masterpiece in
my opinion, that can only be appreciated by those with a certain musical
sensitivity and emotional open-ness, and of course, who like mushy romantic
numbers! The melody is quite drawn out with long contours, so it's not a song
that's easily melodically remembered the first time go, but certainly sticks
with you with repeated exposure.  There is a certain musical abstractness to
this song, like a modern painting that takes time to sink in and be registered,
but only appreciated by those with such a taste and open-ness. Strengths of
this track...mood, delicate
arrangements, subtle artistry, certain melodic sections, innocence, sincerity.
One of the album's highlights for sure and I hope it's picturized well (9/10)

7) Aaromale
Wow.....just wow!!! AR takes a page from the Pink Floyd era, but nothing here
is lifted or copied. Sensual, stylistic, clean acoustic guitar playing along
with passionate and mind blowing vocals by Alphonse make this track simply
stunning.  The string type sounds which weave in and out add a whole new
dimension to the sonic architecture of this gem. What is so unique about this
song is again, minimalistic impact with sound, instruments, but also chordal
architecture.......there are only 2 alternating chords being used in the entire
song!! Can you believe it? The
chorus part which begins with the Malyali "Swasti Swasti" harks on raaga
Bhimpalas to create a magical effect....imagine...juxtaposing a 2 chord bluesy
guitar riff with a raaga
based melody.....only AR....only AR.... The added percussion increasing the
pace only add to the intensity and sinisterness to this path breaking and out of
the box track. And man, what an ending...the way the vocals fade out......oh
man!!!! The ambience created is just out of this world....it leaves me stunned,
mesmerized, in awe. (10/10)!!!

General highlights of this album include minimalistic impact, originality, very
sophisticated and classy arrangements, incredibly strong ambience and sound
quality, and soothing influence. I don't think anyone will be complaining about
sound issues in this album like we saw for Blue, as ARR I think paid a lot more
attention to that aspect this time around, perhaps keeping our "Blue" feedback
in mind??? The soundtrack also has a wide range of styles, sounds, musical
forms that keep you interested. Because of the highly international,
situational, and somewhat unconventional nature of the songs, these will only be
appreciated most with time, post movie visuals, and by those who are most open
minded about music in general. Those who only like the antara-mukhda type film
songs will find the listening experience to be awkward and just too esoteric.
Also, except for the first track with Carnatic raagas, most of the rest of the
album is void of obvious ethnic Indian sounds/styles/forms, consistent with the
international and more universal musical approach. This again, may be a turn
off to some due to non exposure. Like all new ARR albums, esp. ones like this
that have some unconventional and new elements, it will take time to grow for
many, if at all.

A special mention must be made for the singing in each song.  All singers have
done a fantastic job in rendering with great emotion and passion.  I esp liked
Shreya Ghoshal's heartfelt crooning in Mannipaya and what more can be said
about Alphonse in Aaromale?  Amazing rendering and much credit goes to ARR too
for bringnig the best out of him.  Other singers such as Benny, Karthik,
Chinmayi, Kalyani, Blaaze, Suzanne....all deserve high praise for their parts.

My overall rating....9/10. A distinct highlight of ARR's career...one of the
very finest musical packages you will find anywhere in the world today, not
because of its complexity, wizardry, or dynamics, but for pure artistry,
sincerity, ambiance, mood, minimalism, subtlety, and overall spiritualism. A
nice instrumental
track addition would have made this album perfect for me.