On 5/15/2010 6:22 AM India Time, _jayram_ wrote:

> Dear Rawat,
>
> I partially agree to your concern.  Its real pity if some master
> pieces by ARR does not get incorporated into the movie.
>
> Another problem is that some songs might be placed in totally
> unnecessary or unusual part of the movie and thereby weakening the
> whole impact of the song.
>
> The first time I saw Kannathil Muthamital, I was shocked when
> "Vezhai Pookal" was played in the background when Nanditha and
> other Srilankan Tamils are stuck in a storm during their journey
> from Srilanka to Tamil Nadu. I was imagining a totally different
> place for the this wonderful song. Also only part of the song was
> played.

I agree that wrong placement would reduce (rather undermine) the
impact of the song.

Still, listeners and viewers have an inherent curiosity as to where
the song could have been there in the film. If that curiosity gets
satisfied, that is a big relief for us all.

In Bose, that sweetest bengali mukhda lullaby was shown only mukhda
two lines in film, that did not satisfy us fully, but it still
satisfied our curiosity about where a lullaby could have been in a
film based on a revolutionary leader.

So, we will always be wondering for our entire lives where thayya
thayya could have been in Dil Se. I so often thought and couldn't find
any situation in the film where such a deep emotional earthly explicit
song could have been put among the mostly deeply philosophical rest of
the songs of the movie.

(just to share, I even wrote a film story in which I created a perfect
situation to use Thayya Thayya song, so perfect as it would make one
feel that the song was originally created for this very situation.
Now, whenever I hear of think of that song, I imagine the situation in
my story, and the enjoyment increased manifold. :-) )

Similar feeling for Yaar Mila Tha Mujhko in blue, I couldn't think of
any situation when such a simpler, low profile song could be there in
other highly technical, full of audio effect songs.

Of course, they can just put some music part of the song play in the
background so that the song is not "underused" and then when the full
song is released in some other film, we could recognize it from the
background that it could have been the song for that situation.

> But overall, we need to be thankful to Maniratnam Sir. No other
> director has given so much life and visual treatment to ARR sir's
> songs.
>
> How can we forget songs from "Alai Payudey" or "Dil Se", which were
> pure visual treat ? Mani Sir's visualization took these songs all
> together to a different level.
>
> Maniratnam and ARR is always a rare-combination.

Great combo they indeed are, but it does not lessen the unanimous
feeling of being depraved among all of us fan on Mani not putting
songs in film, songs that have to be great because the combo gives
great songs and visuals, and not one but THREE songs, my god.

> Jai Ho, Jayram

Thanks.
--
Rawat