Oscar-winning composer A.R. Rahman launched Jiyo Utho Badho Jeeto, the theme
song for the Commonwealth Games, in Gurgaon on Saturday. The song, however,
has received mixed reviews from music lovers. While a lot of young singers
felt it was average, music composers opined that though it didn’t impress
immediately, it might grow on listeners.

Interestingly, a lot of youngsters were surprised about Rahman’s statement
that his song could not be compared with Shakira’s Waka Waka, used for the
Fifa world cup. On Saturday, Rahman sang the song for around five minutes in
front of a gathering that included Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit, Haryana CM
Bhupinder Singh Hooda and CWG Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi.

“I feel honoured to have got the opportunity to compose the theme song for
the mega-event. It was not an easy task. I had started composing it six
months ago and finished just last night,” Rahman said.
“I usually like Rahman’s songs. I heard him sing the song and it was like
any other song. I guess he is slowly losing his flavour. Shakira has her own
sex appeal and Waka Waka was catchy. Of late, people are liking whatever he
does for the brand he is rather than the music he composes,” said Raghu, an
upcoming playback singer.
“I had lots of expectations from his CWG composition. I just heard a bit of
it and it is just average. I felt I had heard similar songs before. I don’t
know if he is
overworked or saturated, but Rahman’s touch is waning,” said a senior music
composer on condition of anonymity.
Music director Radhakrishna, who had not liked a couple of the songs
composed by Rahman in his last Telugu film Em Maya Chesave, said, “He is
singing this song and surely knows he will get a lot of publicity out of
this event. The song will be downloaded and played by the media several
times. Even if it is not that great, people will start liking it as TV and
radio stations will play it again and again. Rahman’s show in the city was a
flop when he came here. It’s not that everything he composes is great.”
Singer Anuj Gurwara, who heard the song online, said it would be some time
before people took to the song. “It is a typical Rahman number and will take
time to grow on you. Initially people might think it is just an average
composition but I will still wait for a few more weeks to see the public
reaction,” he said.
Avid music buffs too felt that it was Rahman’s image that made people like
whatever he composed rather than the music. “His songs of late are not what
they were and the CWG one is no exception. I felt his song for CWG was so
similar to what he did before. Comparing himself to Shakira is a joke. She
is a stage performer with energy and sex appeal. I guess his stardom is
getting on his head now,” said Mr Srikanth N, an engineering student
learning classical music.
However, Kollywood, Rahman’s home industry, backed him up saying the music
is very typical of Rahman.
However, Kollywood, Rahman’s home industry, backed him up saying the music
is very typical of the singer’s compositions.
“Ramya, popular DJ and TV anchor, said, “Most ARR compositions would be a
bit unusual and difficult to understand in the beginning; only by repeated
listening will we start liking them. That’s what happened even with his
latest Enthiran music. Nobody liked the music on the first day of the CD
release but now people are going gaga over it.”
But, software professional Vikram Mohan, 28, however, said that the score
did not strike a chord with him. “The tune was not catchy and seems
eminently forgettable. Compared to Shakira’s Waka Waka and other sports
anthems, Rahman’s composition falls flat,” he said.

http://www.asianage.com/india/rahman-belts-out-weaka-weaka-song-221

This has to be one of the most biased articles I have read in the recent
times. Who are all these "celebrities" mentioned in the article? I haven't
heard about any of them. Looks like it is their attempt to hog the
limelight.

Naveen