From: Naveen Naushad <navee...@gmail.com>
Subject: [arr] Rahman belts out weaka, weaka song
To: "A R Rahman Fans" <arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Saturday, August 28, 2010, 11:12 PM

      Oscar-winning composer A.R. Rahman launched Jiyo Utho Badho Jeeto,
the theme song for the Commonwealth Games, in Gurgaon on Saturday.
The song, however, has received mixed reviews from music lovers. While a
 lot of young singers felt it was average, music composers opined that
though it didn’t impress immediately, it might grow on listeners.
Interestingly, a lot of youngsters were surprised about Rahman’s
statement that his song could not be compared with Shakira’s Waka Waka,
used for the Fifa world cup.
On Saturday, Rahman sang the song for around five minutes in front of a
gathering that included Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit, Haryana CM Bhupinder
Singh Hooda and CWG Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi.
“I feel honoured to have got the opportunity to compose the theme song
for the mega-event. It was not an easy task. I had started composing it
six months ago and finished just last night,” Rahman said.

“I usually like Rahman’s songs. I heard him sing the song and it was
like any other song. I guess he is slowly losing his flavour. Shakira
has her own sex appeal and Waka Waka was catchy. Of late, people are
liking whatever he does for the brand he is rather than the music he
composes,” said Raghu, an upcoming playback singer.

“I had lots of expectations from his CWG composition. I just heard a bit
 of it and it is just average. I felt I had heard similar songs before. I
 don’t know if he is

overworked or saturated, but Rahman’s touch is waning,” said a senior music
composer on condition of anonymity.

Music director Radhakrishna, who had not liked a couple of the songs
composed by Rahman in his last Telugu film Em Maya Chesave, said, “He is
 singing this song and surely knows he will get a lot of publicity out
of this event. The song will be downloaded and played by the media
several times. Even if it is not that great, people will start liking it
 as TV and radio stations will play it again and again. Rahman’s show in
 the city was a flop when he came here. It’s not that everything he
composes is great.”

Singer Anuj Gurwara, who heard the song online, said it would be some
time before people took to the song. “It is a typical Rahman number and
will take time to grow on you. Initially people might think it is just
an average composition but I will still wait for a few more weeks to see
 the public reaction,” he said.

Avid music buffs too felt that it was Rahman’s image that made people
like whatever he composed rather than the music. “His songs of late are
not what they were and the CWG one is no exception. I felt his song for
CWG was so similar to what he did before. Comparing himself to Shakira
is a joke. She is a stage performer with energy and sex appeal. I guess
his stardom is getting on his head now,” said Mr Srikanth N, an
engineering student learning classical music.

However, Kollywood, Rahman’s home industry, backed him up saying the music is
very typical of Rahman.

However, Kollywood, Rahman’s home industry, backed him up saying the music is
very typical of the singer’s compositions.

“Ramya, popular DJ and TV anchor, said, “Most ARR compositions would be a
 bit unusual and difficult to understand in the beginning; only by
repeated listening will we start liking them. That’s what happened even
with his latest Enthiran music. Nobody liked the music on the first day
of the CD release but now people are going gaga over it.”

But, software professional Vikram Mohan, 28, however, said that the
score did not strike a chord with him. “The tune was not catchy and
seems eminently forgettable. Compared to Shakira’s Waka Waka and other
sports anthems, Rahman’s composition falls flat,” he said.
http://www.asianage.com/india/rahman-belts-out-weaka-weaka-song-221
This has to be one of the most biased articles I have read in the recent times.
Who are all these "celebrities" mentioned in the article? I haven't heard about
any of them. Looks like it is their attempt to hog the limelight.
Naveen