Shafqat,

I will only try to address this one part of your questions:

<IMHO>
"and how to display something like a half million tickets intelligently?"

There are exactly zero known ways to do this in a tabular form. (Which
is the best a table field in ARS can do for you.) There are ways to
build summary reports. However, most of those are still not
"intelligent" when your dealing with that kind of volume. Most humans
can only really focus on a few simultaneous things at a time. Anything
over say a couple of hundred (semi-simultaneous things) is well beyond
most peoples abilities.

Spend your efforts trying to figure out what the users want and why
they think they want it instead of working on a performance/technical
issue. They will be much happier with the results. Even though you
likely will have to drag them kicking and screaming to the final
solution.
</IMHO>

Good luck.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.
Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.