BINGO!!  The ARTCPPORT was the answer.   A number of weeks ago, I was
trying to use SSH Port forwarding through a UNIX box and in order to make
it work I had to set the ARTCPPORT to my forwarded port.   Naturally it is
not a port that is literally referenced anywhere else.

Since I've been working on a terminal server for a number of weeks now, I
totally forgot that I had done that.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:47:13 +0530, Narayanan, Radhika
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We've seen such cases with our users where they had installed an
application related to MS Proxy client. When they uninstalled the
application, they
>were able to connect to remedy. This is probably true with some other
memory-resident applications ( may be pcAnywhere too ) which could be
listening on ports. And when we attempt to connect to remedy using a named
port that's already used by one of the memory-resident applications, we
get this error.

>At another instance a user had set up an environment variable for
ARTCPPORT to the wrong port no. Hence couldn't connect to remedy servers
not using that port no. or registered with portmapper.

>But in both the above cases, the users were able to connect to Remedy by
browser, only wasn't able to connect by the windows client tool which
ruled out