** Wouldn't building filters even from data submitted via a form require the documentation and approvals since it is a code change?

I once built a basic SLA module using a server-side table loop to check EXTERNAL qualifications and then push a record to a form to collect the statistics. I would imagine that you could do something similar except instead of pushing records for statistics you would be pushing to the email message form.

Another project that I started was to create a rules form on incoming emails (mostly for quick email integrations and to avoid the same documentation and approvals you mentioned). One of my ideas was to give my users a console that would allow them to turn the rules off and on and manage who the email was sent to. I was not going to allow them to create rules (that could be dangerous).

As emails are submitted to the email message form the ones where the Message Type is Incoming are pushed to a message processing form where a server-side table loop (yeah another one) ran to check the rules configured in another form and decide if any action needed to be taken. This was also cool because I could do validation here such as not allow an update to an request where the sending email address was different then what was expected (a specific system, requester, etc).As far as I got was updating Help Desk requests but the design was flexible to allow updates to any form depending on the rules config. One cool thing was I went as far as to include the attachments from the email. If there was already an attachment in Attachment Field1 on the HD it would then use the next one and so on.

A hybrid of both these may give you what you are looking for. The console may be very handy to allow your users to do some basic changes and take some burden off the admin.

Jason