Stephen-

Good for you.  Building from scratch is the only way to go, IMHO.

I have an app with data-driven notifications (and messages) now, but not
as complicated as you spelled out.  Our requirements were to allow
notification content to be changed, allow fields from the source ticket
to be inserted (or not), and allow recipients to opt in or out of
certain notifications.  What I don't have is a way to change a
notification's trigger conditions, but that could easily be added (see
below).

It was easier than I expected.  Basically, I created a form to store
notification content, and stored all the notifications by a title and a
number.  Users can change the notification content by querying the form
by title (i.e. the "Rehire" message).  When triggered, the system then
queries notification content by number, (Set-fields to a hidden
display-only field) and sends the notification from there.

To accomplish the requirement of allowing fields to be included, I added
a field drop-down with all the fields approved to be in notifications,
and when a user selects one, add it as a field reference, like so:

        Warning: <assocFirst> <assocLast> has a higher job grade than
        <SupvFirst> <SupvLast>.

Then before a filter sends a notification, it first replaces all the
field references with their values from the ticket.

All notifications are sent to groups.  So users (with certain
restrictions) can add or remove themselves from notification groups by
updating their user record.

And finally, the notifications make use of HTML content templates, so
they all look pretty.

You could add the ability to change a notifications' trigger by use of
the EXTERNAL feature.  You'd have to make a rather involved user
interface on the notification content form, with the end result being
the creation of a Run-If qualification, stored with the notification.
Then each notification filter must become two filters - one that
triggers on every submit (and/or modify) and pulls the qualification,
and a second that runs using the EXTERNAL function with that
qualification.

-Aaron

* Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]