Carol,

We are doing something similar here.

Our Remedy system is now integrated with our HR system and other
systems.  When an employee or non-employee (ie. temp through an
employment agency) is hired the Remedy system detects this and creates
the necessary tickets.  Same thing when they terminate.

Details:
One the front end a couple web application were created for managers to
submit requests to hire someone.  The manager would check the boxes to
install phones, computers, email, etc.  The person that has the
authority to approve hires/terms then approves the request.  Every ##
minutes an escalation runs to see if there are any new tickets that need
to be generated.

For terminations, several additional steps take place. External systems
are queried to see if they have an account, for example BlackBerry, VPN,
etc.  If so, then tickets are created to disable these accounts and
assigned to the appropriate groups.  Tickets are usually created prior
to the employee's last day.  The date/time the network account, email
account, VPN account, BlackBerry account, etc., should be disabled (each
could be different date/times) appears in the description of the ticket.
To help keep users from disabling account prior to this date/time I
added a field to the ticket forms and a filter to prevent the ticket
from being closed or resolved.

Note that this may take some time to implement to the point that it is
fully automated.  The time involved depends upon the complexity of the
external systems that handle the hires/terms, your Remedy application,
and available developers (in languages besides ARS).

As far as the name of the process, I refer to it as HR Integration with
Remedy.  I'm sure there is a better term out there.

HTH

Stephen