**
Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I am not a DBA, but have worked with our DBA's and you can have a Unique Index, in most data bases, with Nulls. Null is an unusual value in that Null does not equal Null so it will not show as a duplicate value. If you are writhing SQL statements you have to use Functions to handle nulls.  We have Oracle and I tested this on a test form.  I put in 4 records and in the assigned to field I put 2 unique values and 2 of the records have no value in the Assigned to Field. I then went into the admin tool and created a unique index on the form and it created the Index with no problem.

I have done this on other forms, but could not find this quickly.

**

>>> Joe DeSouza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Aug 22, 2006 9:16 AM >>>
Franks approach is not only clean but you could allow null values in that field if that is the requirement.. with unique index defined on a field you cannot have null values on a field as the second null value will violate the unique index...

And as Frank pointed out its always nicer to have the end user see a message that says "The value you have entered for field Login Name" already exists as opposed to "The unique index on this form has been violated"..

Joe D'Souza
Remedy Developer / Consultant,
BearingPoint,
Virginia.