TR will give you the current diary entry (which is null if no changes to
the diary field).  If you want the last entry, you have to store it
somewhere else (character field as you mentioned) or parse the diary
field (which is tricky).  I would make the char field < 4k characters so
it does not add a clob to the table (text for sql, not sure the cutoff
in chars), then use the LEFTC function to only grab the first 4k chars
of the diary entry.

Axton Grams