**
Ron,

What was Remedy's final response to this issue? I was going to implement archiving on some forms over the next couple weeks...

I tested with a generic form and got the following errors:

Field : Character Field:
        VUI does not exist for the specified form : 536879784 (ARERR 388).

Field : Character Field:
        Field/VUI name must be unique for the form -- there is already a field or VUI using this name : Character Field (ARERR 392).

Look familiar?

Thanks.
- Chris

Carey Matthew Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)" <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>

09/05/2006 12:35 PM

Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc
Subject
Re: Problem with Remedy Archiving when adding Views to the form.

Ron,

Since you and others have likely not found the driver program I will
spend a short minute on what it is and what it is not.

It is:
)  A very old Remedy base line program.
)  It allows you to interactively "talk" to the ARS server from a command line.
)  It requires a good deal of knowledge of the ARS API content
(parameters passed/received) from the APIs, but requires no
programming knowledge to use. Just follow the prompts and supply the
right answers and when done the API command will be sent to the ARS
server.
)  Installed with the ARS server. (Maybe only when you install the API
kit, but I always do that anyway.) On Windoz it is compiled into
driver.exe under Un*x's you can find it as "driver".
) source code can be found at <ARServer_Install_dir>/api/src/driver
) if you like Java instead of C then check out
<ARServer_Install_dir>/api/src/JavaDriver

It is NOT:
)  Officially supported by Remedy. (But the whole API is in theory
anyway. Just not this implementation in this command line tool.)
)  An excuse to not use the Admin tool. There are lots of things that
you can do poorly in here. So use it when you have to, and do not use
it when you can.
) easy to use
) impossible to break things with. :) You have been WARNED.

The starting points...

// Basic commands
// how to get some help of what to do next
h   <-- gets you the menu of commands that is spit out at the beginning

// setup a session with the ARS server
init <-- initializes the C client stuff.
log <-- sets server/username/password stuff
ssp <-- sets AR Server TCP/RPC ports (if needed)

// other commands of note:
rec  <-- records all command prompts  to a file so that they can be
replayed ( executed ) later
srec < -- stop a recording file

Use it if you need to.
Read the source if you need to.
Read the C API PDF if you need to.

There is some low level stuff in there, but sometimes you need it.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)