Hello, All!

I am installing ARS 7.0 on a Solaris 9 box with Oracle 10gR2.  I am having
a couple of issues:

1. If we don't get ARSystem table space created prior to the installation,
we get the following error:

"An unknown Oracle error has been detected.
Please resolve this error and re-try the installation.
Refer to /tmp/arDBErrorLog for the Oracle error information."

I checked /tmp/arDBErrorLog, it only has a time stamp, no other error
details.

After the DBA created ARSystem table space, we were able to move on with
the installation.  Remedy Tech Support recommends not to create ARSystem
prior to installation.  If you have done ARS 7 installation with Oracle
10gR2, did you have to create ARSystem table space prior to installation?
If you didn't create ARSystem table first, what's the default table space
for ARAdmin?

2. We got the following after we chose to use UNICODE:

"Selecting UNICODE to create or overwrite an existing
Oracle tablespace REQUIRES that the database already
be configured to support the AL32UTF-8 UNICODE character set.

If you are upgrading an existing database to use UNICODE, the database
must already be configured to support the UNICODE character set.

Do you want to use the UNICODE character set?  [n] y

*** Your current locale (C) is not Unicode and you are asking for
*** a Unicode install.  Please adjust your LANG and LC_ALL variables.

*** You can either change your UNICODE option or abort the
*** installation to adjust your LANG and LC_ALL variables.
Do you want to abort the installation? [n]"

I couldn't move on with the installation because it keeps asking the same
question as above if I choose not to abort the installation.  I had to
abort installation.

I discussed this with my DBA and he sent me the database creation SQL
statement as following:

CREATE DATABASE "rmdytst1"
MAXINSTANCES 8
MAXLOGHISTORY 1
MAXLOGFILES 16
MAXLOGMEMBERS 3
MAXDATAFILES 100
DATAFILE '/data/oradata/rmdytst1/db01/system_01.dbf' SIZE 800M REUSE
EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL SYSAUX
DATAFILE '/data/oradata/rmdytst1/db01/sysaux_01.dbf' SIZE 500M REUSE
SMALLFILE DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE TEMP
TEMPFILE '/data/oradata/rmdytst1/db01/temp_01.dbf' SIZE 400M REUSE
SMALLFILE UNDO TABLESPACE "UNDOTBS1"
DATAFILE '/data/oradata/rmdytst1/db01/undotbs_01.dbf' SIZE 400M REUSE
CHARACTER SET US7ASCII NATIONAL CHARACTER SET UTF8

Is character set specified in the SQL statement correct for UNICODE?  If
not, what's the right SQL statement?  My DBA thinks that AL32UTF-8 is a
subset of UTF8, but should he change it to AL32UTF-8 during the initial
database creation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric Zhang
Entergy Services, Inc.