David,

So here is how I think it all works...

An ARS Web Service has to pass through a Mid-Tier. That Mid-tier may
or may not be configured to use a preference server. That will drive
if the users individual preferences are a part of this equation or
not.

Based on your response I would guess that the Mid-Tier is configured
to use a preference server. I would also guess that if the
user/Mid-tier does not have a set of preference for the give user it
will default to the TZ for the OS of that Web server is running on. If
that is accurate and the ARS Server TZ setting is correct then the
values should be "correct". (They still may not be what you expect,
but they should be correct.)

I would try to verify these things with the following tests:

1) Login to the Mid-tier config (/arsys/shared/config/config.jsp)
1.a) Change a setting and save them. This will update the
.../mid-tier/WEB-INF/classes/config.properties
file. The second line in that file will have a timestamp and a
timezone listed in it. Verify that it is correct.
1.b) Also verify that "Preference Server(s)" setting while your there.
You will need that values for part #3.

2) Check the Server information in the Admin Tool
2.a) Login to the Admin tool, select the AR Server and click on
File->"Server Information..."
2.b) Check the "Platform" tab and verify that the "Server Time" value
is correct.

3) Check the User Preference record(s) for the user in question.

4) Last but not least...
   If you still think things are sideways... look at the DB data and
translate it from epoch GMT to the right timezone value and confirm
that the value your expecting to see is the correct value.

HTH.

And no worries about being a digester. :) But if you mention that in
your posts then people might know to send you the mail directly too.
:)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)