-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 2:07 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Remedy 7.x Load Balancer

Karee,

In general, "performance" has little to do with "High Availability".

In fact the higher your "performance standards" are the more you
should be buying when you setup your "High Availability" environment.
Because, you want more performance you have to buy bigger boxes on
both halves of your HA environment to deal with all of the load on 1/2
of your "High Availability" environment to cover the event of a
failure of 1/2 of the HA. And there is a diminishing return on the
theory of "larger box = better performance" curve.

Not to mention that most HA solutions actually add more routing logic
into the mix which is bound to cost you some performance in the the
grand scheme of things. How much of a cost that would be is likely
negligible to the "performance hit" of a production server down for
even one minute. :) So that cost is normally ignored. But the first
time you are bit by a "Load balancer change" that routes your traffic
off to China and back before it finally gets where it should be
going... well you will notice that kind of "logical mistake.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach