If your client doesn't already have a Web SSO solution in place then
they would need to set up one first.  There are free and commercial
products available, but it is a non-trivial exercise.  Once you have
that, you need to configure the mid-tier to forward the SSO credentials
(in 6.x you use a custom Java authenticator class for this.) and
develop a custom AREA plug-in for Remedy to validate them.

We have done this using CA's SiteMinder Web SSO.  Modifying the sample
C++ application was fairly straightforward.

Hope this helps.

Keats