It all depends on your level of trust for the method of
authentication.  If you trust that IIS can properly retrieve the
user's information, then you can write an SSO solution for that
environment, granted all your target users are in an M$ domain and run
an M$ OS.

If this is not the case, you will need to find an alternative.
PKI/Smartcards have been discussed extensively, though I'm not sure if
a solution has been developed (maybe someone in that arena could share
what type of infrastructure/software they use for that type of
authentication, then again, maybe not).

From my observations, SSO solutions typically have a server component
that resides on the web server.  Certain areas of the web server can
then be marked as protected, where authentication is required for
users to access that portion of the site.  The SSO session is
established the first time a user authenticates to an SSO protected
site and those credentials persist for all/any access across other
sites that are protected using the same server side SSO software.  The
session persistence is accomplished by storing some session
information on the SSO policy server, and that is
cross-referenced/autheticated using a client-side cookie.

For some free (some maybe not so free) alternatives:
http://www.josso.org/
http://www3.ca.com/solutions/Product.aspx?ID=166
https://opensso.dev.java.net/

Axton Grams