From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Axton
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 12:17 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: How to switch DB Server

**

Instead of using DNS to repoint traffic to the backup host, you can disable the
ip on the primary node, then reassign the ip to the backup node.  Only delay
will the the arp requests in this scenario.  Multiple ip's can be assigned to
both hosts to ensure the machines stay network accessible:

During normal operation (primary active):

hostA (primary):

trunk0: 10.1.1.100 <http://10.1.1.100> , 10.1.1.101 <http://10.1.1.101>

hostB (backup):

trunk0: 10.1.1.111 <http://10.1.1.111>

During failover operation (backup active):

hostA (primary):

trunk0: 10.1.1.101 <http://10.1.1.101>

hostB (backup):

trunk0: 10.1.1.100 <http://10.1.1.100> , 10.1.1.111 <http://10.1.1.111>

Your DNS would then have an A record for the following:

remedy.company.com <http://remedy.company.com>  -> 10.1.1.100
<http://10.1.1.100>

remedy_primary.company.com -> 10.1.1.101 <http://10.1.1.101>

remedy_backup.company.com -> 10.1.1.111 <http://10.1.1.111>

Your users would simply log in to remedy.company.com
<http://remedy.company.com> , regardless of which node is active.

To access the servers using other tools (ssh, sftp, telnet, etc), you can use
the other hostnames (e.g., remedy_primary).

Axton Grams

On 10/12/06, McKenzie, James J C-E LCMC HQISEC/L3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]