**
Isn't con the output stream for the "con"sole in DOS.  Similar to stdout in *nix?

From a DOS prompt:
 echo xxx > con

puts xxx on the screen anyway.

Thad
"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours."-- Richard Bach

"Joe DeSouza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)" <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>

10/13/2006 01:15 PM

Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc
Subject
OT: Try this out...

**
I'm almost positive I know the 'real reason' to this, a friend of mine who is not really from an IT background sent me a mail saying that even engineers at Microsoft do not know the answer to this (which I find hard to believe). Reason being after he sent me that mail I immediatly guessed the reason behind this, and I am willing to bet I am right about it..

Wanted to see if anyone here can figure it out... Try this out..

Try creating a directory or a file (with no extension) named con and it wont let you.. while creating a directory using the GUI it simply wont let you create it (no error displayed) but if you try using DOS it will return an error - invalid name.. Similary if you create a file and try to name it con, it says this name is 'reserved for a device'..

Personally I do not think this is reserved for a device as such. It is reserved for 'something else'. At least thats my guess...

Does anyone know why you cant name a file or directory named con? I have a good guess and am willing to bet I'm right... Just want to compare my guess to that of others around here...

Write to me off list...

Cheers

Joe D'Souza
Remedy Developer / Consultant,
Shyle Networks,
New Jersey.

***IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.***