From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of David Sanders
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 1:16 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: CMDB Classes

**

James

That is not true.  ITIL does not say anything about how you should structure your CMDB or classify your CIs. ITIL defines terminology, suggests roles and gives general guidance on best-practice for certain processes, like who can modify CI records, approval processes, etc.  It also infers certain functional requirements, like being able to relate CIs to RFCs etc. It does not dictate a table structure for the CMDB, any classification system for CIs or what level of granularity you need to adopt when defining your CIs.

Regards

David Sanders

Remedy Solution Architect

Enterprise Service Suite @ Work