If you install multiple locales, the import of the localized messages
will fail if you install without a license.  I believe there are ~500
records per locale and the unlicensed server allows <= 200 records.
So in the stated case, you will want an arserver license in place
before starting the arserver install.

The apps require a license before installation, so they state.  I do
not yet understand the technical reasoning for this claim.  It's also
been stated that CMDB requires an arserver license because multiple
threads are required for the installation.  This would make sense due
to the class manager/filter plugin architecture.

Axton Grams