Title: Tracking Vitrual Servers in Remedy AM 5.6
**

A Sever support person asked our Remedy team a good question about handling Virtual servers in regards to Asset Management tracking and Change ticket relationship.

Our infrastructure teams want to be able to track changes to Virtual servers and track that they have been moved from one server to another and essentially been relocated.

Virtual servers are not basically a physical object but merely a file system on a server so there does not seem to be a way to set a good unique ID for these.

The VMs sound like they would fit as a Asset Component to an Asset but Asset Components in the world of ITSM 5.6 cannot be related to Change tickets or Help Desk tickets but can only be related to an Asset record and the Asset record would be related to a Change.

The problem also seems to be that if you move a Virtual server from one location to another location to another server, if the Virtual server was tracked as a component then the component's Main Asset relationship would have to change.  This seems to be somewhat tedious.

Have any others determined the best way to handle this in Asset Management 5.6?
I figure that this is better handled in Atrium CMDB 2.0 but we will not be getting that for some time.

Thanks
Peter Lammey
ESPN MIT Technical Services & Applications Management
860-766-4761