James,

The issue (as I understand it) is more of a Java thing than an OS
thing. Java does not tend to take advantage of the full features set
of the OS. Rather it uses a LCD (least common denominator) approach
and expects you to either pass things in via the env settings or
command line settings.

My guess is that the root of Jack's incident is really that there was
some "uncontrolled" change in the OS layer and that the startup
script's LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting now points to an incorrect location.
( or maybe someone goofed up the start up script in some other way. Or
maybe someone altered the OS users env settings that the script was
"inheriting" before.   I have been bit by all three of those causes
over the years, and a few more to boot. :(  )

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach