Just a few thoughts.

IMHO, The only way to do this is with ARS Permissions.

Provide a field that allows any support person to "take control" of
the ticket via a "Support Group". Have that button set field 112 (or
some other dynamic access control group in the record) to include
their user name. If your business logic only allows one person to be
in the field at a time then only set the field if it is null. (And
allow for a second "Support group" to be able to overwrite the field
so that you do not need to get a call to fix records that are "locked
by someone who has already left for the day".) And save the record.

THEN add an active link on "un-display", when $USER$ is in the field,
that will clear the field and save the record. (or does a push to the
record to clear the field.

Also, ONLY give change access to this dynamic group so that a user HAS
to be in that field before they can change any field on the form. (or
add a filter that checks for a non NULL dynamic group and $USER$ as
being in that dynamic group before it will allow the modify.)

I think that should get the job done for you.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach