We have this implemented in a custom helpdesk application. The user/ticket
id info is pushed to a separate form when an existing record is
opened/displayed. On Close/Un-display the entry is cleared.

When attempting to open a record in read-write the form holding locking
info is queried, if a match is found an error is displayed with the user
info and the form opens as read-only. There are buttons on the form to
toggle from read-only to read-write so the users don't have to
close/reopen the form once the lock is cleared.

I've been here almost two years and never had to manually clear a lock
(although I'd recommend developing an easy way to do that).

Christopher Cook

This message contains confidential information intended only for the above
addressees and may contain information that is proprietary or legally
privileged. If you received this message in error, please notify us and
delete the original message. You must obtain permission from Thrivent
Financial to use its logo on all materials. Failure to do so could result
in legal action.

Roger Justice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>
12/14/2006 04:05 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Re: How do I create a "checking out" system

**
I have seen it tried once with bad results. The client wanted to have the
second person see a warning that included the person working on the ticket
and not be able to save. Since the locking data was held in another form
the locking data was not always cleared out and no one could update the
ticket until the entry was cleared.