"especially if your users are point-blank telling you it matters"

I think that is what I find the most humours (in a not so funny way). Here
are numerous users relaying our experience, thoughts and feelings here and
are told it is fine as is. For a BMC engineer, yes maybe. Real-world people
using the tool, not so much.

Any one of us that builds home-grown apps or customizations (extends) ITSM
has come up with a great solution in the past; something that makes
complete sense to us. But then roll it out and the users don't seem to see
it the same way we do.

This is one of those situations. The designers/developers of a tool do not
see the tool the same way as users, they just don't. Developer/designers
are in too deep and have too much understanding of beneath the covers. With
that level of knowledge of a tool, yes it makes sense. But your users don't
and will likely never lave that level of knowledge about the tool.

I like your description "litany of little terrors." Have you ever noticed
IT people/developers so damn gunshy to give a response. They have been beat
too many times and live in terror. Give the wrong answer and you will be
beat. After a decade or two (probably much less) it really does change a
person.

Jason