I disagree.  You do NOT want to re-index from every server.

First of all - what version of ARS?  Let's assume it's version 8 or later.

Second - when you re-index there's a specific process.  You should disable FTS
on all servers and disable indexing on all servers.  Then shut them all down.
Delete all of the index files from the shared index location (see below).  Use
a SQL tool and truncate the table FT_PENDING (or write a Display Only form +
workflow to do this, which is what I did for long term ease of use). Then start
the admin server and enable indexing.  Then start a re-index.  Start the other
servers back up and turn FTS back on when the re-index is done.

Now as to configuration....

There's more than one way to do it but BMC definitely has a preferred way.

In a server group BMC prefers you have a shared file location all servers can
access.  One server - usually the admin server for the server group - is the
indexing server.  It creates all of the index files and updates the files when
new requests are put into the FT_PENDING table.

One of the other servers (or the other server if you only have two servers) is
the search server.  It should have FTS indexing disabled and should be
configured to retrieve all searches for FTS.  So all of the plugins in the
ar.conf/ar.cfg on every server should reference the search server.  This
prevents file locking problems.

Also, there is an FTS fortifications patch out that removes a LOT of
extra/unused indexes and GREATLY reduces the amount of time it takes to do a
full re-index.  I highly recommend applying this if you have not.

William Rentfrow
wrentf...@stratacominc.com
Office: 715-204-3061 or 701-232-5697x25