I foresee an overall package coming from Remedy.

Depending on your organizations size (users and helpdesk agents), along
with organization structure and tracking requirements, would determine
if Remedy works and is efficient for your environment.

If you can, either now or later, incorporate Change, Asset and hopefully
purchasing in the future, is definitely worth the Remedy utilization in
the future.

What would it take to implement that in a more proprietary software
developed in house?  What about the time to create it?

All of these and more, depending on your organization needs and goals,
need to be looked.

Good luck.

Nick

Havin' Fun in Sacramento.