**

Hello

I'm in the middle of a change to our live system and looking for some
reassurance....

Our main form is sprt_Service_Request (it was originally part of the CRM
application, and for that reason among others, has more fields in it
than is healthy).

The form had 789 fields in it, of which 661 were database fields.  A
nightmare to maintain, and we were running into performance issues.

On the dev and training system I've reduced this to 386 fields of which
296 are database fields.  I copied the form from dev to training using
"Import in Place" and it took around 8 hours to complete.  As the work
was in progress, any queries on sprt_Service_Request would work, but
would give an error such as:

ARERR [552] Failure during SQL operation to the database : ORA-00904:
"C600000050": invalid identifier

i.e. referring to one of the fields which had been deleted.  The next
time the query ran, the error would be about a different field, until
finally it completed successfully.

In the live system there is a lot more data, and we expected it to take
longer.  However for 2-3 hours this morning the error related to one
single field and it has only just changed.  Also I got an error on live
that I did not get on the training system:

"ARERR 92 Timeout during database update. The operation has been
accepted by the server and will usually complete successfully"

Our users have very reluctantly agreed to 24 hours of downtime.  This
means that if the import in place has not completed in the next 2 hours,
we are going to have to think about restoring from a database backup and
being stuck indefinitely with this oversized table.

-          is there any way of estimating how much longer this has to go
before it completes?

If I could say it was definitely going to complete in say 4 hours, then
I could possibly negotiate some extra downtime... (in the meantime the
system is in admin only mode and escalations have been disabled)

We're on AR System 6.03.00 patch 18

Sun Solaris 8

Oracle 9

Thanks

Isabel

Isabel Ross
Glasgow City Council
Phone: 0141 418 1484
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.glasgow.gov.uk

it___

Support Scotland's Bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow - visit
www.glasgow2014.com

Disclaimer:
This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message
was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this message.
Glasgow City Council cannot accept responsibility for viruses, so please
scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect
those of the Council who will not necessarily be bound by its contents.