Hi,

Normally the following applies:

SLA - Agreement with the Customer for a defined Target with
penalties/rewards for late/on time delivery.

OLA - Agreement between delivery teams that are fulfilling the request e.g.
Support Groups such as L1, L2, L3, etc. [this should be a product of the
overall SLA i.e. the OLA's should not exceed the overall SLA to the
customer, but should be a breakdown of the total SLA].

UPC - Agreement with a third party vendor i.e. External provider.

So, in your example:

1.  A customer reports a Service that is delivered to them is down "Email".
The ticket is created that carries an overall "SLA" (agreement with Customer
on defined Service Targets for up time e.g. 95%).  The moment the ticket is
raised, an SLA is applied and starts measuring.

2.  A Support agent is assigned and works the request.  It may transition
between internal support groups to resolve e.g. Level 1 (Support Desk),
Level 2 (SMA - Subject Matter Expert), Level 3 (Engineer, etc).  The OLA's
form the basis of the SLA e.g. if a SLA has 8hr resolution time, each time
may have a defined period of time to resolve i.e. Level 1 = 4hrs, Level 2 =
3hrs, Level 3 = 1hr (Total = 8hrs = SLA).  You would therefore base the
"OLA" targets based on the Support Groups. (not the overall "Status" of the
request which would determine the SLA e.g. Start = Assigned, Stop =
Completed).  Each OLA would start when the Assigned Group changes, therefore
measuring the time each group spent working the request.

3.  If a third party vendor is required to be involved, then you may
"suspend" (pend) the SLA/OLA until the third party vendor resolves the
issue, where the SLA/OLA would stop and not continue until the vendor has
completed the work.

In the above, the OLA's per team are a product of the SLA defined with the
customer i.e. you could not have a total OLA (combination of all OLA's) that
are longer than the overall SLA.  The OLA's are a breakdown of the total
SLA.

The "Service" should define the SLA, the interaction between resolver teams
will determine the OLA's that are defined between the resolver teams with
respect to the SLA e.g. a breakdown of the SLA into periods that each
resolver team has to perform their work with respect to the overall SLA (not
exceeding the overall SLA).

Kind Regards,

Carl Wilson