Thomas,
Yes...it could be done as an API Filter Plugin....I've been thinking about
that since you asked....the only problem I can see with a Filter Plugin
would be the feedback portion.  As it is, running it, you get the feedback
in the log about what was attempted, what was executed, etc...I could
output all of that to the plugin log through normal channels if that would
be ok....I'd just never thought of doing it through a plugin before....