What I have done in the past is to create an configuration form where there
is a single configuration record for each escalation I wanted to only run
on one record.  Basically you create a form that stores your configuration
with a status (allows you to easily "turn off" this escalation record) and
some unique identifier the Run If of your escalations looks for.

Let's call our form "SHR:Escalations". In this example have one record in
the form with the Name (can use Short Description field if you would like)
"CHECK_4_PENDING_EMAIL". You then create an escalation against the
SHR:Escalations form with the Run If:  'Status' = "Enabled" and 'Name' = "
CHECK_4_PENDING_EMAIL"

When you escalation fires (once) it performs a modification to this
configuration record (you could use a Display Only field and not modify the
record) which then kicks off a filter that will go look for matching AR
System Email Messages records (your Run If in your original email) and if
there is a match set a field with some data from that transaction (like Email
ID of a matching record, let's call the field zTmpPendingEmail_ID).

One thing to note if   zTmpPendingEmail_ID  is a regular field, since it is
very likely that same Email Messages record will be found by the Set Fields
after the email engine stops sending mail, the transaction will only be
different the first time the escalation runs (after the email engine stops
sending email). You may or may not want this (example only notify people
once when the system stopped sending email). If you want to notify people
each time the escalation runs after the email engine stops sending email
you can use something like $Email ID$  + "_" + $TIMESTAMP$ in your Set
Fields.

You then have a filter(s) with Run If like       'Status' = "Enabled" AND
'Name' = "CHECK_4_PENDING_EMAIL" AND 'DB.zTmpPendingEmail_ID'  != '
zTmpPendingEmail_ID'      that do whatever you want. You could call a
script to send an email from the OS instead of using the Email Engine.

When I have used this setup in the past to address the email engine not
sending email, I found restarting the email engine would usually take care
of the issue so there was no manual intervention needed.  You can look at
this tread for an example batch file that will restart the email engine
(Windows) and there is also at least one other idea that uses a .vbs script
to monitor email:  https://mailman.rrr.se/arslist/1103/msg00794.html

The other thing I have see is a scheduled SQL job runs every few minutes
that basically does the same thing, looking for older email messages
records that have not been sent, and then sends a notification via the DB's
mail system.

Jason