Hi Jason,

Down here in sunny South Africa, we are still actively doing custom Remedy
development for a large telco.

I did the first implementation of Remedy for these guys back in 1998 on ARS 4.0
which was, initially, a like-for-like functional replacement for an in-house
developed VB app they used to do network fault and event management.

Since then, we have grown that system through the years to include a long list
of other custom apps, and have, quite frankly, lost count of how many they are.

We have also inherited a heavily customized (but labelled “OOTB”) ITSM
implementation that was done for a different org unit initially.

Now we are, like at every other customer site where I have worked at for the
last 6 years or so, spending more of our time doing integrations with, and
configuring ITSM, than maintaining or enhancing existing custom modules, leave
alone creating new apps on Remedy.

(Now, I felt a lump in my throat, just writing this sentence, because it is sad
that an era of creativity, productivity and excitement has now finally gone not
only in my home country, but seemingly, everywhere else too….)

I have been subscribed on and off to the list since more or less around that
time of doing that initial implementation for these guys.

The ARSList has always been a most valuable resource to me through the years so
I’d like to thank Dan, Misi and you for keeping it up this long.

Another big thanks to all my fellow listers who shared their thoughts,
experiences, tips and solutions through the years – it certainly helped at
least one person! :)

When the final day for the ARSList eventually rolls in, I hope that we could
all meet again on https://communities.bmc.com/ as that is now proving to be a
valuable resource too.

Having lost so many fellow Remedy people to SN, I am very pleased to hear
Roger’s story, but to tie in with what he said about CIO’s wanting “industry
standard” systems: That is true, and I wish that the industry would wake up the
realization to what I said in a post on BMC Communities long ago about
so-called industry standard “best practice” actually now becoming “average
practice” having no leading egde without the added customizations we do. Maybe
then Remedy skills will be in the demand it ought to be….

Good luck with the job hunting – here’s hoping that you do get another “dream

Happy thanksgiving to my fellow listers in the US!

Best Regards,

Theo Fondse